share rss forum feed

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Reading, PA
kudos:1

HD from PC?

I recently downgraded my cable service to basic. They gave me a small "box" shown above (not mine..found image on Google). Well I'm trying to figure out if I can get an HD signal from this by connecting it to my TV Tuner card on my PC and then running that to my TV via hdmi cable.

Would this work?
I'd try it out but, my PC (which used to be Windows Media Center edition) doesn't have a cable card compatible with win 7 (couldn't find drivers for it either) ...nor does it have an HDMI output. I would purchase what I need for this, but I'd like to know for sure if it would work or not before spending the cash.
--
Photoshop these nuts in your mouth.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Probably not but you don't mention which TV tuner card you're using.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
Heck it's what ever came installed on the computer. A Sony Vaio VGC-RB45G.
I did a search for what brand if might be but I came up with nothing.
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
It appears to be a Giga Pocket® MPEG2 Realtime Encoder board with TV Tuner and it appears you have the following inputs: S-Video Input (rear)
Composite Video/Audio Inputs (rear)
Coaxial Input (VHF/UHF)

(from: »www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/···mksp.pdf)

How old is this computer?

At a guess, you will be able to pick up analog channels from the Comcast coax cable out from the wall (assuming there are any) and/or possibly whatever the coax out provides from the Comcast box (though I'm not sure how tuning channels will work for that).

I have no idea if that will give you access to any HD channels or not -- are you getting HD channels from that Comcast box when it's connected to your TV?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
The PC is about 7 years old.
I get no HD channels from this box at all. If I connect the cable directly to my TV, bypassing the box I get nothing. ..nothing at all.
--

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to onebadmofo
You are not going to get an HD signals from that box. It is a Digital tuner and then drops the signal to analog. The only way you might get HD channels is if you bypass the box and go directly into the computer, and that will only work if the tuner is a digital qam tuner. Even then, if you did get anything, it would probably only be the local channels.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
said by ilikeme:

You are not going to get an HD signals from that box. It is a Digital tuner and then drops the signal to analog. The only way you might get HD channels is if you bypass the box and go directly into the computer, and that will only work if the tuner is a digital qam tuner. Even then, if you did get anything, it would probably only be the local channels.

That's not all bad. Cause basic cable doesn't give us much passed local anyway. And at least I'd be able to watch games in HD.
But I'm willing to bet without even searching, that Comcast doesn't allow for one of those QAM devices to work on their service.
--

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Comcast does allow QAM tuners. What matters is if they have the stations on clear QAM or if they are encrypted. If they are encrypted, then you are out of luck.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
Currently, local stations on Comcast are available via clear (unencrypted) QAM but it probably won't be for much longer. They're definitely headed in the direction of getting those encrypted too.

You're probably better off getting a relatively cheap ATSC USB tuner that will pick up your local stations over the air with an antenna. Windows Media Center should work with one of those. And if not, if you get a Hauppauge tuner, they typically ship their own software that makes live TV viewing pretty easy.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
What type of antenna? Roof top? Or would indoor work fine? And what about those "HD/TV" antennas, are they any good? Or are they Bullshit?
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
The type of antenna (indoor, attic, or outdoor) really depends on your local environment (obstacles, hills, distance from towers, etc).

You can use tools like:

»www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=···temid=29
and
»www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

to see what your reception might be like.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

I recently downgraded my cable service to basic. They gave me a small "box" shown above (not mine..found image on Google). Well I'm trying to figure out if I can get an HD signal from this by connecting it to my TV Tuner card on my PC and then running that to my TV via hdmi cable.

Would this work?

In a word, no. Your provider is no longer using an analogue signal and has switched to all digital. The device is a Digital Transport Adapter that switches the digital signal to something readable in analogue. The DTA is serialed and linked to your account, allowing only the signals you pay for to be seen by you.

No regular QAM tuner will read the signal the DTA puts out. If, for some reason, your provider still carries analogue signals, then a QAM tuner will allow you to see them, but given that you have a DTA box, it usually means that there are none and your are basically pooched.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

vintagewino

join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

What type of antenna? Roof top? Or would indoor work fine? And what about those "HD/TV" antennas, are they any good? Or are they Bullshit?

The signals you will get "off the air" is totally dependent on your location and height above average terrain. Where I am, I get 3 OTA channels. If I were to move 3 km south, that would give me an additional 300 feet height above average terrain, and an additional dozen or so stations. Basic rule for UHF: the higher the antenna, the better.

Go to tvfool.com and put in your coordinates. It's reasonably accurate, and you'll get an idea of what's out there and in which direction. Try the settings for what would be a "rooftop antenna" first, and see. You can then play with antenna height (tower) to see what you'll get in addition, and where diminishing returns occurs.

Since most signals now are UHF based, everything is considered "line of sight". The signals aren't cooperative "bending", but they "bounce".

As DKS said, that box is an adapter only. As you can see, it converts to analog channel 3 or 4, so you're getting NTSC format. Sorry, no hi-def there. The "IR in" is strictly for an external IR remote receiver.

Good luck.

Emptydarkone
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Springfield, IL
reply to onebadmofo
I did the same as you and downgraded to basic. They gave me two of the converter boxes which I used for about 2 weeks until I took it upon myself to hook directly to my televisions and do a channel search. I get all of the channels I'm supposed to, minus On Demand, which I wouldn't get with those converter boxes anyway.

My main television is less than 2 years old, and the other is a bit over 4 years old. On the older one, I had to do a 'deep' channel scan which took an hour, but unlike the quick scan, it picked up all the channels. Now I have two less appliances plugged in, and two less remotes sitting around.

I don't get HD channels, because that is not part of my package. You have to pay extra for that stuff, and I can't bring myself to pay for it.
--
It's a shame society mocks the differently uvulated.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to onebadmofo
Whelp..looks like I'll continue to watch the games in below SD quality then. Cause even an antenna would only give me 3 channels.
Thanks for the help, at least.
--