spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

Optic internet speed increase coming soon?

I was on the phone with the retention department, talking about my loyalty discount, which disappeared last month. I reminded them that Telus is way behind Shaw in the speed department and they said that I should watch their website this month, for what that's worth.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

Hmm, interesting... Anyone at Telus care to shine some light on this? Main reason I switched back to Shaw was their speeds and static IP's were an extremely good deal.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to bimmerdriver

Hopefully they can do something, I would be happy with at least 10mbps upload on the 25 down package, although 15mbps would definitely differentiate it. If they could come up with a 50 down 25 up package that would be sweet. My line is only capable of 74mb down and 14 up according to the stats though so I'm not sure there's anything I can fully take advantage of unless they release the 12a profile or the 17 they're testing in Quebec. Not sure even with those profiles released if I'd be able to reach higher speeds due to my line stats or how it works between the modem stats and what the profile allows.

WhosTheBosch

reply to bimmerdriver

Click for full size
Click for full size
I also hope they don't blatantly lie like Bell does on their website about their Fibe speeds. If someone's a lawyer, perhaps there can be a good class action suit.

It's also pretty stupid that the 50mb down package they offer only has 10mb up.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to bimmerdriver

Your missing the huge red flags on the page you posted. Look at the bandwidth cap. Sure they are offering those speeds, but 100GB cap are you kidding me?

Like I said, I switched to Shaw Biz for numerous reasons, one being their soft caps. I have a 250GB soft cap, and go into the 400-500GB a month and haven't heard from Shaw as of yet.

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
kudos:1
reply to WhosTheBosch

25/10 - the upload is up to 10 depending on the distance but the download is usually smack on if its available .

Fibe 50 is 50 up and down. The profile is actually set to 60 down and 55 up or something close to that. Fibe 175 the profile is set to 186 or 200 down and 186 up. I'll have to double check those fibre profiles.

If your line is good and can handle it the fibe 25 profile is 26 down and 11.3 up.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to WhosTheBosch

said by WhosTheBosch:

I also hope they don't blatantly lie like Bell does on their website about their Fibe speeds. If someone's a lawyer, perhaps there can be a good class action suit.

It's also pretty stupid that the 50mb down package they offer only has 10mb up.

The 50mbps and 175mbps service is a FTTH based service and the speeds are symmetrical.

I think there's something wrong with the instance of the website you loaded. When I checked their website just now it shows symmetrical upload and download speeds on the website.

WhosTheBosch

reply to rustydusty

Well, those caps are a separate issue, my main problem is with them saying they offer 50/50 and 175/175 when the next page states that it's 50/10 and 175/30... and I'm willing to wager my car that the second set of specs is the correct one as I've never seen a business make an error in favour of the consumer!

WhosTheBosch

reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

The 50mbps and 175mbps service is a FTTH based service and the speeds are symmetrical.

I think there's something wrong with the instance of the website you loaded. When I checked their website just now it shows symmetrical upload and download speeds on the website.

Did you compare the packages? That's where the second screenshot comes from.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to rustydusty

said by rustydusty:

Your missing the huge red flags on the page you posted. Look at the bandwidth cap. Sure they are offering those speeds, but 100GB cap are you kidding me?

Like I said, I switched to Shaw Biz for numerous reasons, one being their soft caps. I have a 250GB soft cap, and go into the 400-500GB a month and haven't heard from Shaw as of yet.

They offer 250gb and 300 gb caps on the 50 and 175mbps services. Paltry still, but its not 100GB. The website is clearly messed up when you try to compare the services. If you click on each service individually and look at the details you'll notice that the 50 and 175 services are symmetrical. In addition, I know of people who have the service and it is indeed symmetrical.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to bimmerdriver

Second image posted shows 100GB usage included, first shows completely different?

meraki

join:2008-04-10
V3M 0C6
reply to bimmerdriver

I'd take anything Bell presented with a grain of salt. They are the the worst, hands down.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
reply to bimmerdriver

So basically your giving a Ferrari but cant make full use of it out of fear of getting a speeding ticket essentially?

What is the point of having such speeds if you can blow through the damn cap in a few days?

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21
reply to rustydusty

said by rustydusty:

Hmm, interesting... Anyone at Telus care to shine some light on this? Main reason I switched back to Shaw was their speeds and static IP's were an extremely good deal.

We are working on it. Its all I can say.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

DanteX

Has telus considered the feasibility of running fiber to the pole or fiber to the home via existing above ground and underground infrastructure?

olive403

join:2012-10-10
Canada
reply to bimmerdriver

is bell fibe 175 on copper (vdsl) etc?

xeonic
Premium
join:2011-09-03
reply to DanteX

said by DanteX:

Has telus considered the feasibility of running fiber to the pole or fiber to the home via existing above ground and underground infrastructure?

I believe Telus was doing a brownfield FTTH pilot project in the Lendrum neighbourhood in Edmonton. They were using aerial fiber as all the residences are serviced aerially there. I would imagine that brownfield underground is still extremely cost prohibitive at the moment. I know Telus is doing underground greenfield FTTH.

DanteX

Yes I have been aware of this project in Alberta for a while but I am in metro Vancouver and would love to see Fiber here lol

Symtex

Burnaby, BC
reply to bimmerdriver

interesting article : »www.4-traders.com/ALCATEL-LUCENT···3807915/

As usual. I can't comment.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

DanteX

Ok if Telus is going to be releasing 100Mbit seeds what will be expecting to pay ?

mdub6

join:2008-10-28
Canada

said by DanteX:

Ok if Telus is going to be releasing 100Mbit seeds what will be expecting to pay ?

The real question is.... how many subscribers, will actually qualify for speed increases?

Id be happy if Telus would give me the 25/3 connection. Here's to 2020...... hopefully!

Ternerito

join:2002-08-31
GVA
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

quote:
The real question is.... how many subscribers, will actually qualify for speed increases?
Agreed. I've been stuck at 15 mbps for several years. How many lines does Telus have to bond to get me to 100? :-/

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS

said by Ternerito:

quote:
Agreed. I've been stuck at 15 mbps for several years. How many lines does Telus have to bond to get me to 100? :-/

With vectoring, worst case scenrieo, (>1.5km from dslam) lines should see 2-5 mbps improvement, improving all the way up to 50+mbps in a MDU environment (sync>150mbps). Toss in line bonding, and things suddenly become interesting.

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC
reply to Symtex

You're such a tease. Since AL lists the 7130 as their only residential gateway, I wonder if they will be releasing new firmware to support G.vectoring?

mdub6

join:2008-10-28
Canada
reply to Ternerito

said by Ternerito:

quote:

15?? Im stuck on 6!!! Like I said earlier...... hopefully Telus does something by 2020!!

LTEisFATER

@shawcable.net
reply to bimmerdriver

Telus' LTE is faster then their xDSL service and make how much more in revenue?

Guess where Telus' priority is... My business can't even get 15mbps in downtown MH, yet I can do 55mbps on LTE from the building!

TelusXDSL

@shawcable.net
reply to bimmerdriver

That is a great article from Symtex! (»www.4-traders.com/ALCATEL-LUCENT···3807915/)

Dated September 2011...

Not going to hold my breath to see anything above 25mbps here from Telus anytime soon! Would be nice but I see other providers pushing 500mbps before Telus hits 100mbps IMO!

l_dub

join:2011-06-20
Edmonton, AB

Is there any update on this?

I recently talked to Customer Service to upgrade a relative's internet, and they stated that the 50Mb package is coming soon, and is just in testing currently. She checked for me and it's supposedly a 50/10 package. Can any of the Telus guys here confirm this? Also, is the 25 package going to see an increase in upload speed?

Also, I have an off-topic question. Once the profiles are upgraded to 50mb, is Telus going to increase the Optik TV stream size to improve picture quality? A recent move has forced me to use Bell Expressvu again, and there is still a pretty significant difference in PQ between the two. This is still the one thing that's lacking with Optik TV.

Symtex

Burnaby, BC
reply to bimmerdriver

said by bimmerdriver:

I was on the phone with the retention department, talking about my loyalty discount, which disappeared last month. I reminded them that Telus is way behind Shaw in the speed department and they said that I should watch their website this month, for what that's worth.

Yes We are doing a soft launch of Optik50 in selected region since last weekend.
--

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC

Any details? Where? Cost?