how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

co

@comcast.net

1 edit

[Rant] Law blocks DirectTV from CC Sportsnet in Philadelphia

I live in South Jersey and because of the law that Satelite companies are not allowed to broadcast Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, I am stuck with Comcast for now. I am a sports fan, so I have to have Comcast Sportsnet to watch my local Philly sport teams.

The FCC was suppose to overtturn this law so DirecTV could acquire Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia on its channel lineup and I can finally change over, as they have tons more HD Channels, especially when it comes to HBO, Starz, Cinemax, and Showtime.

Its a total joke that Comcast is allowed to get away with this, and shows that they have a monopoly in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area on all sports fans.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: [Rant] Comcast removes HBO and Starz HD channels

There is no law. What you're referring to is the terrestrial exception, which was closed.

DirecTV could add Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, they just don't want to pay Comcast's price at the moment. And DirecTV's focus is drifting away from sports, see them not adding Pac-12 Network or TWC SportsNet.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
They are not drifting they want to get a good deal and no one but TWC has TWC SportsNet right now.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
It was just announced that Bright House Networks will now carry TWC's SportsNet: »www.lakersnation.com/bright-hous···2/10/07/
and:
»www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/24···ets.html

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to Joe12345678
same with comcast sportsnet philadelphia. I heard comcast wants too much money for sportsnet phily.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to telcodad
isn't bright house part of time warner?

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 edit
said by mikedz4:

isn't bright house part of time warner?

There is some sort of relationship, from Wikipedia (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable ):
Advance/Newhouse and Time Warner (Bright House Networks spin off)

Some of the regional cable system clusters operated by Time Warner Cable are owned by the Time Warner Entertainment - Advance/Newhouse Partnership (TWEAN). In 2002, Advance/Newhouse Communications, unhappy with some of the operating policies of Time Warner Cable in the AOL Time Warner era, forced a restructuring of the TWEAN partnership such that Advance/Newhouse would actively manage and operate a portion of the jointly owned cable systems equal to their percentage of equity. Under this arrangement, Advance/Newhouse enjoys the proceeds of their actively managed systems rather than simply a percentage of the partnership's total earnings. The majority of the affected systems are in the Tampa and Orlando markets under the Bright House Networks brand.
also (from »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks ):
All of the systems now owned by Bright House were owned by the Time Warner Entertainment - Advance/Newhouse Partnership but, under a deal struck in 2003, Advance/Newhouse took direct management and operational responsibility for portion of the partnership cable systems roughly equal to their equity.

Bright House is also involved in most disputes involving Time Warner Cable, as they also handle negotiations on behalf of Bright House.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

same with comcast sportsnet philadelphia. I heard comcast wants too much money for sportsnet phily.

Apparantly RCN and Fios don't think it's too much money; both offer comcast sports net philly in the philly area.

»www.csnphilly.com/info/contact-us

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
RCN does not have TCN / CSN Philly + aka the over flow feed.

Fios does not have TCN HD / CSN Philly + HD.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
said by Joe12345678:

You are probably correct.

I wasn't responding about TCN or overflow channels. I was responding about the main CSN channels which is where most of the sports programming is televised.

Does TCN fall under the same terrestrial ruling? If I were fios or RCN I'm not sure I would pay for TCN either.

cast sucks

@dsl.net
said by The Q:

said by Joe12345678:

You are probably correct.

I wasn't responding about TCN or overflow channels. I was responding about the main CSN channels which is where most of the sports programming is televised.

Does TCN fall under the same terrestrial ruling? If I were fios or RCN I'm not sure I would pay for TCN either.

But for years CSN Chicago / FSN Chicago and sports channel chicago all used CLTV for over flow and other systems never needed to have CLTV same thing for MOJO HD that was used for CSN + HD.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Joe12345678
Good job of trying to spin the words tho. Just so you didnt mislead anyone.Fios and rcn both have CSN which is what the original poster was talking about. Which dish or direct could also get but both CHOOSE not to pay for.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to The Q
Fios has TCN they just dont have the hd version of it.

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN
reply to co

Re: [Rant] Law blocks DirectTV from CC Sportsnet in Philadelphia

In Bloomington indiana if you have AT&T uverse you get Comcast SportsNet Chicago, Comcast SportsNet Chicago Alternate, Comcast SportsNet Chicago Alternate HD, and Comcast SportsNet ChicagoHD included
but if you pay extra you can get Comcast SportsNet New England HD, Comcast SportsNet California HD, and Comcast SportsNet Bay Area HD

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to The Q

Re: [Rant] Comcast removes HBO and Starz HD channels

DirecTV was the ones complaining about the prices for comcast sports philly.
Also none of the local cable news channels are on satellite. No New York 1, no Pittsburgh cable news channel (which has little news on it anyways), no the comcast network, etc...

"About two years ago, a Comcast spokeswoman from Washington, D.C., told me Comcast was having "talks" with satellite companies. (I guess that sounded better than saying they were negotiating — more of a kick-the-tires approach — but it has drug on and on with no end in sight.)

Give Comcast credit. The cable provider found another technicality. They have to offer the content, but no one said they have to offer it at a reasonable price. So the "talks" continue.

Why does this matter? Well, an even playing field would create more competition and better deals (maybe not prices, but deals and specials) for consumers.

Gelles quoted Derek Chang, executive vice president at DirecTV as saying, "We would love to carry the product on fair and reasonable terms. We don't think we've gotten those at this point."

Read more: »lancasteronline.com/article/loca···qyFUeQp"

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Why should Comcast or TWC make their local news channels available?

Maybe they should do it when DirecTV lets them have Sunday Ticket, their version of Extra Innings and the Audience Network.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
cable had a chance to bit for sunday Ticket but even at the time window for that most systems did not have the room for all games in HD.