dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

CharterTech
join:2012-08-06

CharterTech

Re: [HSI] Users may experience slower connection speeds if torre

It will be slowed down to 15Mbps on the first offense for 30 days from first offense. Seconds offense 10Mbps for 30 days.

If two or more offenses happen in a month 500Kbps.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

said by CharterTech:

It will be slowed down to 15Mbps on the first offense for 30 days from first offense. Seconds offense 10Mbps for 30 days. If two or more offenses happen in a month 500Kbps.

who exactly are you, and why should we believe this.

where do you get this information - link to it please.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

I know if the rep was official, there would be a logo as well as a tag for VIP and or offcial tech support
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260

Premium Member

said by IowaMan:

I know if the rep was official, there would be a logo as well as a tag for VIP and or offcial tech support

i suspect he may not be lying in past many key events where leaked by techs on here before it actually happened a tech leaked the bandwidth caps weeks before they ever entered tos for instance

and i know from past dpi blunder that charter had the equipment in place to monitor what you do for advisting purposes whos to say that equipment is not still there

also @packeters most isps have such info in public now days

Carl
Premium Member
join:2004-07-21
Lafayette, LA

Carl to CharterTech

Premium Member

to CharterTech
said by CharterTech:

It will be slowed down to 15Mbps on the first offense for 30 days from first offense. Seconds offense 10Mbps for 30 days.

If two or more offenses happen in a month 500Kbps.

I am absolutely not okay with this. If this happens to me - and it shouldn't, because I don't really torrent - I will switch to AT&T. They only offer 6Mbps in my area, but I'd rather 6Mbps regardless of what I do instead of 100Mbps that get cuts down tremendously should I "step out of line" or something. This is absolutely not acceptable.

I could see cutting it down to half of your rated speed and then half of that for the second offense...but 500Kbps? Hells no.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

Carl, I know you are mostly venting on a sympathy we all share, but in reality you don't want to go back to aDSL as that platform is slowly being resold or allowed to die a slow death by all ISPs who still provide it.

as for a 500kbps penalty phase, that make some sense as the average user would not notice a 15 to 10 speed downgrade - also 500Kbps is the transfer rate not the speed. a 15-10 speed line has a transfer rate of 1200Kbps, so 500Kbps would be about the same 6 speed you propose leaving cable for aDSL.

Carl
Premium Member
join:2004-07-21
Lafayette, LA

Carl

Premium Member

said by Packeteers:

Carl, I know you are mostly venting on a sympathy we all share, but in reality you don't want to go back to aDSL as that platform is slowly being resold or allowed to die a slow death by all ISPs who still provide it.

as for a 500kbps penalty phase, that make some sense as the average user would not notice a 15 to 10 speed downgrade - also 500Kbps is the transfer rate not the speed. a 15-10 speed line has a transfer rate of 1200Kbps, so 500Kbps would be about the same 6 speed you propose leaving cable for aDSL.

He said rates will fall to 15Mbps or 10Mbps. Then he also said 500Kbps...as in a 62.5KBps download speed. That is not acceptable.

My only AT&T option is the new IPDSLAM product they're offering - I don't see that going away anytime soon. It's ADSL2+ and not ADSL.

I would definitely notice a downgrade from 100Mbps to 15Mbps. I would MOST definitely notice one from 10Mbps to 500Kbps!

Unacceptable.

crohakon1
@charter.com

crohakon1

Anon

said by Carl:

said by Packeteers:

He said rates will fall to 15Mbps or 10Mbps. Then he also said 500Kbps...as in a 62.5KBps download speed. That is not acceptable.

My only AT&T option is the new IPDSLAM product they're offering - I don't see that going away anytime soon. It's ADSL2+ and not ADSL.

I would definitely notice a downgrade from 100Mbps to 15Mbps. I would MOST definitely notice one from 10Mbps to 500Kbps!

Unacceptable.

Again, "CharterTech" is posting false information. He has a trend of doing so. Please confirm anything with the Charter Direct guys before believing anything he posts.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Carl

MVM

to Carl
said by Carl:

I am absolutely not okay with this. If this happens to me - and it shouldn't, because I don't really torrent - I will switch to AT&T. They only offer 6Mbps in my area, but I'd rather 6Mbps regardless of what I do instead of 100Mbps that get cuts down tremendously should I "step out of line" or something. This is absolutely not acceptable.

As has been noted by others, this appears to be related to the MPAA/RIAA "Six Strikes" initiative. You should be aware that AT&T is also participating in "Six Strikes".