Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
reply to MannyL

Re: [Northeast] VPN into my home

If you do that you would basically be eliminating the need for having the netgear because it sounds like you would be moving everything to the Actiontec LAN.

Is there a specific purpose for the Netgear on your network? If not ditch it along with the double NAT headache. If you would rather keep the netgear than the Actiontec get a MOCA bridge and hook it up to one of the Netgear ports for your STBs to get internet (Doing this breaks on screen caller ID and android/iPhone remote DVR which require the actiontec/westell routers to work right, though)

MannyL

join:2002-10-22
Toms River, NJ
I am using the netgear for better wireless support and my gigabit switch doesn't have enough ports.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
I would do the MOCA bridge solution in that case then if the remote DVR and on screen caller ID are not that big a deal for you. If losing those would be a deal breaker for you then you've gotta get that double port forwarding to work as described in the article.

I use a Netgear wireless as well on the same setup because I dislike the actiontecs and their capability and the features I lose are not important to me.

MannyL

join:2002-10-22
Toms River, NJ
I'm at a point where I can't spend any more money. If I could I would just buy a larger switch.

The on screen caller ID is not something we use in the house but the remote DVR is very important to us.

I know there has to be a simpler solution that I'm overlooking.

The STB's are being given 192.168.1.100-1.105 If I could switch them to 192.168.3.10 to 192.168.3.15 and set the LAN port of the Actiontec to 192.168.3.1 then everything would be on the same subnet.