PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to not quite right

Re: [iPhone] Bigger Fail Than Maps ...

I dont really get the value of this new connector.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
said by PhoenixDown:

I dont really get the value of this new connector.

I know it really is kind of vague. My take is that it's smaller allowing for more space inside the phone, it can be plugged in on either side, it's an all digital connection but I didn't realize USB wasn't a digital connection, now here's the kicker it still uses USB 2.0. How freakin' confusing!!!
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 edit

said by not quite right:but I didn't realize USB wasn't a digital connection, now here's the kicker it still uses USB 2.0. How freakin' confusing!!!

The only reason it's USB 2 is because the flash chips they are using cans read and write at speeds faster than what USB 2 provides. So it could be USB3 but you would gain 0 performance benefit until the memory gets faster. As far as I know all phone manufacturers use the slower memory.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to PhoenixDown
Design it is USB 3.0 (faster sync) and not-orientation specific.
(How frustrating the current 30pin is as it MUST go on one way. At night or in dark place to plug in, its a real PITA. Not even a bump or indicator to those with poor vision to reference "Oh, this side up!".)

Apple is failing at HID...
--
Splat

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
said by cableties:

Design it is USB 3.0 (faster sync) and not-orientation specific.

The memory used in the phones can't read and write faster than USB 2.0 speeds. So any gains by USB 3.0 will still be constrained by the phone's memory itself.

That being said, the iPhone 5 will sync faster than the 4s:
»www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/appl···-review/

quote:
To test this we lined up an iPhone 4S next to an iPhone 5 and ran both through a number of syncs with large files. Pulling 5.5GB of data from iTunes to the iPhone 4S took five minutes and six seconds on average. Syncing those same files to the iPhone 5 took three minutes and 57 seconds on average. So, nearly 20 percent faster, but we're not sure how much of this is due to the new connector and how much can be attributed to faster internals in the phone itself.

We confirmed with Apple that the iPhone 5 itself only supports USB 2.0, so a faster interconnect on the other end wouldn't help anything (and it's unclear whether the internal storage could consume data more quickly if it were there), but there's nothing stopping the company from expanding the Lightning standard to work with Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 in the future.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to PhoenixDown
Apple does: you have to get it through them, or from a third party that has to buy the licensing rights from Apple for a hefty premium and therefore the connectors are all much more expensive and every single one sold equals great profit for Apple.

There's a reason they make so much money, you know! And it's not from allowing manufacturers to make fully working Apple accessories royalty free....
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini