Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pulp46
Premium
join:2003-01-28

2 edits

Bell Usage Meter counting LAN data?

My brother-in-law in Malton, Ontario is getting hammered by Bell with going over bandwidth allowance. He swears it's completely wrong because he will have done nothing but surf (internet wise) yet Bell's proggy will state he did 10 GIG. He does STREAM tv shows and movies FROM his PC to a PS3 Media Server-TV so I'm thinking Bell's combo router/modem is calculating the LAN traffic on top of the WAN. Have you guys noticed that or read about it? Could you link me up if you have? Yes, Bell is denying that could be the problem and want him to pay up. Any ideas on how to fight this?

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
LAN doesn't count. He could show you his daily used to see what's going on.

pulp46
Premium
said by kovy7:

LAN doesn't count. He could show you his daily used to see what's going on.

So, he could copy and paste this "daily used" thingy to me? What program would that be or is it gathered from a Bell website, url?

kovy7

It's on the Bell website, he needs a account "Log in to My Bell".

pulp46
Premium
said by kovy7:

Thank you kovy. Since I can't access it and he's at work (unreachable) would the information include detailed info like Mac Addresses (in case a hacker took over wifi) and all traffic history? Kudoed!

kovy7

said by pulp46:

said by kovy7:

Thank you kovy. Since I can't access it and he's at work (unreachable) would the information include detailed info like Mac Addresses (in case a hacker took over wifi) and all traffic history? Kudoed!

Yeah, it's not detailed enough. It's only shows download and upload each day.

pulp46
Premium
Just the GIG totals?

pulp46
Premium
reply to kovy7
I presume a customer can gain access to the real traffic while disputing the usage? Has anyone done that? Surely Bell can't just state you did X amount of traffic, pay up without seeing what machines and what kind of traffic it was.... Judge, jury and executioner?

kovy7

said by pulp46:

I presume a customer can gain access to the real traffic while disputing the usage? Has anyone done that? Surely Bell can't just state you did X amount of traffic, pay up without seeing what machines and what kind of traffic it was.... Judge, jury and executioner?

Yeah only the gigs each day.

Gain acces to real trafic... no.

Best west is geting your own router that counts WAN traffic and compare it to bell.

And this is why CAPs are a big problem...

pulp46
Premium
Wow,that's pathetic. I'm going to insist he gets onto TekSavvy Cable, like I am using. 300 GIG and I swear they don't even bother counting the usage. Also have Unlimited but no need really.

kovy7

said by pulp46:

Wow,that's pathetic. I'm going to insist he gets onto TekSavvy Cable, like I am using. 300 GIG and I swear they don't even bother counting the usage. Also have Unlimited but no need really.

They don't bother yet, cause they don't have a usage tracking for now I beleive.

But teksavvy or any other wholesales ISP is usually generous with CAPs.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to pulp46
He's not downloading the shows from PC and then streaming them to his PS3 is he??

I could see 10 GIG could be easily reached by simply downloading tv shows depending on the quality of the downloaded file. Something doesn't add up here. Where are the media files coming from? I could care less HOW you obtain them, but I'm simply wondering if those shows are indeed coming from a source on the internet?
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

pulp46
Premium

1 edit
Yes he is. He'll download a 280MB mp4 file from alt.binaries.teevee to his hard drive. Later, at his convenience, he'll wirelessly stream it to his LCD TV (PS3 Media Server) from his PC. He can account for all his Internet traffic and its NOTHING anywhere near what BELL is reporting. I'm suggesting Bell's program is buggy and also counts all that LAN traffic which, of course, is ridiculous. I see no other explanation apart from Bell's metering just being all kinds of faulty.

Edit*** He has one of those combo modem/router units Bell provides. I never liked the idea of combos apart from pizza.

NonBell

@avaya.com
Get him a separate router so Bell's combo unit will only see pppoe and nothing more. if he still see high usage, then he is acutally using more than he thinks, or someone hacks into the new router as soon as it is installed. (Make sure he turns off the wifi from Bell's combo unit).

pulp46
Premium
said by NonBell :

Get him a separate router so Bell's combo unit will only see pppoe..

Yes, I would have been there with my DIR-655 within 5 minutes of him telling me about it... but he's 5 hours away, one way. LOL He's not handy with this stuff nor knows anyone who is. Those nutty combo jobs kinda dumb down people.

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
reply to pulp46
He needs a separate router.

I just posted instructions here:

»2wire with router

If you can print the instructions and get him on he phone; you may be able to get it to work

Rick

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to pulp46
Hmmm, maybe the security is not set on his wifi, and a neighbor is using his connection?

pulp46
Premium
No, his security is set, 20 characters long. A great hacker could have cracked it but I'm betting it's a case of the stupid program counting LAN data.

agtle

@teksavvy.com
can't be lan. traffic is not measured at the CPE.

urbang33k

Canada
reply to pulp46
ya, usage is not measured on the cpe side... unless he has some kind of wierd cloud based file sharing service?

Or his media server that resides on the lan side, but is using a NO-IP type service, and the ps3 is pointed to the public hostname? although with a 2wire he wouldnt have any more than 1 meg upload and thats not enough to stream video with any decent amount of resolution.

OR somebody knows is B1 id and password and usage is somehow being tracked across multiple connections?? not sure if thats possible for the meter to track though.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
reply to pulp46
So he streams TV shows?

How many shows does he follow?

If he follows 10 shows then per month that would take 10 gigs easily if the isize of each file is as you say 280mb x 4 shows (per show) each month = approx 1 gig per show
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

pulp46
Premium
No. For example last Saturday, he DL a 278MB mp4 and streamed it to his TV. That's all he did for the day besides email. The usage counter stated he used 10 Gig.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by pulp46:

No. For example last Saturday, he DL a 278MB mp4 and streamed it to his TV. That's all he did for the day besides email. The usage counter stated he used 10 Gig.

Something else is wrong... kids, torrents?
What speed does he have?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

pulp46
Premium
No kids, just a common-law wife who doesn't even know what downloading means. LOL This would be real simple if Bell would forward him the Mac Addresses.

urbang33k

Canada
get him to call in and change his b1 logins password with a sympatico rep for starters.

or turn his modem off for a day and see if the tracker reports any usage.

change the password on the wireless.

not sure if your aware, but the usage is not tracked on the physical hardware, its tracked by PPPoE b1 login ID.
--

useagebell

@bell.ca
reply to pulp46
not sure if things have changed but the way the old meter worked is it would see your pppoe session established and then started counting it kept counting till the session was closedd so in theory you could have a session of 4 days. the first 3 days you would see nothing and then on the 4 th day when the connection was broken it counted.

it never worked on a day by day count in the past. this might explain the 10 gig total . he might have been connected for a while the meter is counting then he lost his connection and it tallied up the total.

thats how it used to be i realize things might have changed

kovy7

reply to pulp46
said by pulp46:

What type of connection does it have... also is this 10Gb, counting 1 day only or the whole month ?

pulp46
Premium
That was 1 day for the 10 GIG. I know he has a slower package, like 10 Mbps, maybe 12?

kovy7

said by pulp46:

That was 1 day for the 10 GIG. I know he has a slower package, like 10 Mbps, maybe 12?

And did you check out if the usage was upload or download... You need to get details.

And you can go inside his modem, and see MAC from there.

useagebell

@bell.ca
reply to pulp46
thats what my post was gettign at. so that day was showing 10 gigs. what was that calendar date ? then look at the day before if the useage is zero then what i explained above is what is occuring