All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing to Savious

to Savious

Re: Savious Makes an MMO

I think WoW has proven that balancing an MMO around 1v1, 2v2 is not possible... and even arena 5v5, its all comp BS

in an MMO, balance for PvP, should be based on MASSIVE encounters... since its MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER

GW2 is attempting to do it right with WvW, there is nothing massive about getting ganked 1v1 in the open world... its nothing but griefing

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

said by TheThing:

I think WoW has proven that balancing an MMO around 1v1, 2v2 is not possible... and even arena 5v5, its all comp BS

in an MMO, balance for PvP, should be based on MASSIVE encounters... since its MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER

GW2 is attempting to do it right with WvW, there is nothing massive about getting ganked 1v1 in the open world... its nothing but griefing

Read my post. Open world PvP that makes sense and matches you against players of similiar level for action.

Griefing happens in WoW, yea. But only terrible terrible players will get griefed repeatedly. Ive had my body camped in WoW hundreds of times. I could never understand how people cant get away...

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing

said by Savious:

said by TheThing:

Read my post.

You got me there... LOL

too tired.

hahahaha

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

said by TheThing:

said by Savious:

said by TheThing:

Read my post.

You got me there... LOL

too tired.

hahahaha

So, basically you just trolled this post without reading anything I put?

Zupe
MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

Zupe to Savious

MVM

to Savious
said by Savious:

Read my post. Open world PvP that makes sense and matches you against players of similiar level for action.

Griefing happens in WoW, yea. But only terrible terrible players will get griefed repeatedly. Ive had my body camped in WoW hundreds of times. I could never understand how people cant get away...

If open world PvP is mandatory for progress, or unavoidable due to no flagging, realm choice, etc., you're going to lose out on a significant chunk of the possible player population from the start that don't care for PvP or only like to participate in it when they're in the mood. If your goal is a game where PvP is the main/only focus, I guess that would be fine, but there's a reason WoW et al. have PvE and PvP servers, and several other games limit PvP to specific areas.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

said by Zupe:

said by Savious:

If open world PvP is mandatory for progress, or unavoidable due to no flagging, realm choice, etc., you're going to lose out on a significant chunk of the possible player population from the start that don't care for PvP or only like to participate in it when they're in the mood. If your goal is a game where PvP is the main/only focus, I guess that would be fine, but there's a reason WoW et al. have PvE and PvP servers, and several other games limit PvP to specific areas.

Hmm, good point. I just liked the idea of having conflict on the border zones and having quest that actually involved players completing missions involving each other. I was picturing more of a 1v1 type of deal, with each player having a few NPC's on their side that represented similiar classes as you would see in game.

I suppose it could be made so that these quest arent mandatory, but would provide significant benefit over traditional leveling options.
Savious

Savious to Zupe

Premium Member

to Zupe
Im picturing something that has a more massive and epic feeling attached to it for later leveling than "collect 8 hooty blobs and 5 zippy zaps" or "kill 7 diddly whops and 5 dingle dangles".

Im picturing the border zones to be full of action, like when you first stepped through the portal starting BC. Explosions and firefights all across the border, jets flying over head doing bombing runs, things like that.