uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

[Connectivity] New Install - Drop Fee?

Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying a new house which has coax through it at a few points. However, none of those points (there are only 2, one in kitchen, one in basement) are where I would want to put a cable modem.

If I am a new customer, does Comcast charge anything for a new line to a new place in the wall?

I've had Comcast once before in college apartments and the coax was already run and I just needed a self install kit (3-4 years ago).

Please let me know. A contractor wants $175 to put in a coax drop, which is a little hard to swallow!

Thanks

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
Sign up for service and a tech will run the line to your home and install the cable where you want it.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
For free? Even if there are existing runs?

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
When you say "coax through at a few points" do you mean from the pole/ped ? They SHOULD give you a new drop either way, which was free when I had mine done 2 years ago.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
reply to Gordo74
I mean that there is currently a single line in from the pole into the basement, which is then split to two different places. One being the kitchen and one being the basement.

Also, is there an install fee charged? I know there is NO install fee for the self install kit, but would a tech coming out be different?

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
Some areas are different but I wasn't even asked since it was a new home. A tech came out and installed the drop, ran the line in the basement and the jack in the entertainment room. No charge.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

SeaSeaTee5

join:2010-05-06
Maryland
reply to Gordo74
Keep in mind, inside wiring is the homeowners responsibility, NOT Comcast's. Basically, the harder it is to run the coax, the more it cost's. If you foresee a difficult cable run, you might want to go with the contractor that quoted you..

As of a year or so ago, a standard install included hooking up the equipment to existing lines. Any additional outlet would be subject to a charge. it depends on how difficult it would be to run the line. If the tech just needs to drop a line through the floor into a crawl space, or wrap around the house, they will usually do it at the time of install. When I say through the floor, I'm talking about drilling directly through the floor, not fishing it in to a wall. This may be charged as an additional outlet fee. Used to be about $25. Many of techs will just run the line and waive the charge, but some will let dispatch know to add it to the bill. Really depends on the tech.

If you want the line run into a wall, there may be a wallfish fee. Was about $55 for a BASIC wallfish. A wallfish may require a reschedule depending on whether or not the tech has time (and that he knows how to do it). If you require a CUSTOM wallfish (multiple stories, outside walls) some areas have contractors who will do this, but they can be charged at hourly rates. If you wait until the day of install, this will require another appointment. Some areas will not do any custom work and advise you to call an electrician.

You should be able to pick up a pricing card from Comcast that details what any additional charges may be.

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
said by SeaSeaTee5:

Keep in mind, inside wiring is the homeowners responsibility, NOT Comcast's. Basically, the harder it is to run the coax, the more it cost's. If you foresee a difficult cable run, you might want to go with the contractor that quoted you..

If you want the line run into a wall, there may be a wallfish fee. Was about $55 for a BASIC wallfish. A wallfish may require a reschedule depending on whether or not the tech has time (and that he knows how to do it). If you require a CUSTOM wallfish (multiple stories, outside walls) some areas have contractors who will do this, but they can be charged at hourly rates. If you wait until the day of install, this will require another appointment. Some areas will not do any custom work and advise you to call an electrician.

You should be able to pick up a pricing card from Comcast that details what any additional charges may be.

See? Even on here we get multiple opinions. I'm just looking to nail something down, as I know many Comcast workers themselves browse these forums.

It would be a basic wallfish. 1st story to basement, directly through the wall and down. I am just trying to figure out if Comcast will do the drop for free seeing as how it is new service and if that install appointment costs me anything over a self install kit (nothing).

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by Gordo74:

It would be a basic wallfish. 1st story to basement, directly through the wall and down. I am just trying to figure out if Comcast will do the drop for free seeing as how it is new service and if that install appointment costs me anything over a self install kit (nothing).

what I think you want to tell the installer is when he lays down new coax from pedestal to your demarc, run a new wire from demarc going to 1st floor where you want the modem.

doing this, he might have to drill through your outside wall to go inside where you want the modem, basically bypassing the basement split.

and if you don't want holes drilled, you just might have to swallow that $175 install. OR, since you made it sound like it was easy to warrant a free wallfish, why not do it yourself?

said by SeaSeaTee5:

Keep in mind, inside wiring is the homeowners responsibility, NOT Comcast's. Basically, the harder it is to run the coax, the more it cost's.

couldn't agree more with what SeaSeaTee5 See Profile said...

better yet, can you post pics of what your demarc, basement and where the wallfish will be?

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to Gordo74
Well, if you have Comcast do it, hopefully you won't get this guy :

Crash! Cable guy drills hole right through china cabinet
By Stephanie Zimmermann, The Post-Tribune - March 17, 2012
»posttrib.suntimes.com/business/f···net.html

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by telcodad:

Well, if you have Comcast do it, hopefully you won't get this guy :

Crash! Cable guy drills hole right through china cabinet
By Stephanie Zimmermann, The Post-Tribune - March 17, 2012
»posttrib.suntimes.com/business/f···net.html

one of the many reasons why I would rather do it myself or have an experienced contractor do it...

SeaSeaTee5

join:2010-05-06
Maryland
reply to telcodad
Hell, I've seen a tech drill straight down from an attic, into a medicine cabinet, through a tube of tooth paste and out the bottom of the medicine cabinet. And this was a maintenance tech who went into a house to try to fix an ingress problem.

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
reply to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

doing this, he might have to drill through your outside wall to go inside where you want the modem, basically bypassing the basement split.

and if you don't want holes drilled, you just might have to swallow that $175 install. OR, since you made it sound like it was easy to warrant a free wallfish, why not do it yourself?

better yet, can you post pics of what your demarc, basement and where the wallfish will be?

It would be on the innermost wall.

And why I don't do it myself is quite honestly, I don't know how. I know how to drill through floors or ceilings, but not wall fish to make it all nice-like.

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
reply to Gordo74
I called and chatted with Comcast.

Online: $34 install fee and they will run ONE cable where ever I want, $29.99 performance (20/4) was only package on "special"

Phone: $100 install fee and they will run ONE cable where ever I want, $30 (20/4) available OR $35 (50/12) available. This is the more expensive route, but interesting how they have different deals.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
reply to Gordo74
Just so you know neither one of them deals include a wall fish. READ the fine print and it will say basic install. A basic install does NOT include a wall fish. That being said you can probably talk the installer into doing it if its a easy wall fish. But under no conditions does a basic install cover any wall fishes at all. For that you need a custom install and rates are not set for custom installs. On average you can expect about a extra 35.00 added to cover a simple one wall wall fish. If done same trip.
One cable where ever you want it does not mean one cable ran however you want it. All companies work under the same terms.