how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

audiotek

join:2010-12-03
Toronto, ON

How to increase Wi-Fi range in a house

I tried the Amped Wireless SR300 and it's so not reliable I have to reboot it every 6 or 8 hours and barely can get the range I want. My wireless modem/router is in the basement and I need to extend that range upstairs and some in my backyard. The thing is I have a cat5 cable that I ran last month that goes from my wireless router/modem all the way upstairs to a home office to a computer that's near the backyard. Is there something on the market that could take that signal (modem/router to cat5 cable signal) and get it to transmit Wi-Fi upstairs?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

Chrno

join:2003-12-11
reply to audiotek
You can try a DIY parabolic reflector as you only need to direct the wifi signal from the basement to a location on your second floor.

Forhad

join:2012-10-03
Toronto, ON
reply to audiotek
You can simply get a Wi-Fi repeater. Repeaters serve as a two-way relay station for Wi-Fi signals.

audiotek

Toronto, ON
reply to audiotek
Is there a way to use the existing cat5 from my modem to the SR300 and make that signal Wi-FI upstairs?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to audiotek
The correct advice already noted is simply get an Access Point (nothing more than a tx-rcve radio) which is connected by that cat5 Cable to your Router. Since Access Points, volume wise, are more of a speciality item, its usually cost effective to buy a wifi router and simply use the WIFI part (the radio). The benefit too in your case is that the wifi router (acting as an AP-switch) also has a switch (4 or 5 ports) to which you can connect your PC and other peripherals.

»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

audiotek

Toronto, ON
I don't really needs the ports as of now the SR300 sits on my kitchen table right beside my laptop that uses my modem/Wi-Fi at %98 signal strenght and my wife's Ipad right besides it uses the SR300 at %76 signal strenght and I have to reboot it every few hours and tell the Ipad to go to the SR300 otherwise it goes back to my modem/Wi-Fi signal. Main reason I want a strong signal upstairs is for my wife to use her Ipad anywhere upstairs and in the backyard (10 to 15 feet from the house)

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Regardless, the switch it a bonus, the main benefit is that you have full bandwidth to the AP via the cable. Anything else will not be as fast or stable. Its a no brainer if you have the cable already in place.

audiotek

Toronto, ON
Makes sense to have the switch. Now is it possible to use the SR300 as an access point? Or my only bet is to return it and get an access point with a 4 port switch?

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to audiotek
Is that a rhetorical question?
You said yourself it was a POS.
"I tried the Amped Wireless SR300 and it's so not reliable I have to reboot it every 6 or 8 hours and barely can get the range I want."

A true repeater setup has two radios, one to receive and tx back and forth to the source and one to tx and receive to end units (laptops etc). Othewise your cutting your throughput perhaps not quite half but a huge chunk.

Now if you there is a possiblity to ethernet connect the repeater and use it as an AP, why not try that to see if its acceptable for wifi reception where you want it. It should be as good as any stock N device on the market (but not as good as some of the latest with mimo technology etc).
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

audiotek

Toronto, ON
Not a rhetoric question. I was just wondering if I could use one of the 4 port of the SR300 plug in the cat5 and use the Wi-Fi. So cat5 to wifi and not wifi to wifi likw its setu now.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Read the link I posted in the earlier post oln how to do it and read your manual userguide (I dont have one, so not sure what that unit is capable of - I would be very surprized if you couldnt 0- give it a whirl - and check your power supply at is may be some of your issues of flakiness).