PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[hard drive] Bought a 120 gig SDD, should I have gone bigger?

I picked up a 120 Gig SSD drive for a new PC build and am / was planning to use it for just windows and program files. Media, documents, etc, would go onto a 2TB HDD drive I have.

After installing windows, itunes and firefox, I am left with 68 gigs free. I have 20 gigs downloading for World of Warcraft and I still have MS Office 2010 to install.

Should I have gone with a bigger SSD drive? If so, I'd rather get it now and I'll save thsi drive for my home server.

What do you think here?
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

Re: [hard drive] Bought a 120 gig SDD, should I have gone bigger

You should get as big of SSD drive as you can afford. Some will put in 2 128 Gig drives in Raid mode to get even higher speeds.

Have you checked what is using half of your drive ?
If you have a lot of memory you may be using a lot of the SSD for the Swap-file and or Hibernate files. If you had 16 Gig memory you would be using maybe over 30 Gig for those two files, and you may not even need them.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to PhoenixDown

You want to leave 50-60% of the space free, so yes, if you want to put WoW on it as well, you probably should go for a 240/256 GB.

Make sure you disable hibernate and delete your page file (or move it to the HDD).
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to PhoenixDown

said by PhoenixDown:

Should I have gone with a bigger SSD drive? If so, I'd rather get it now and I'll save thsi drive for my home server.

I don’t know if a typical Home Server will benefit much from an SSD. The reason I say this is you access your server remotely from another system across a network and that network connection access would likely negate much of the speed benefits of an SSD.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to mmainprize

said by mmainprize:

If you have a lot of memory you may be using a lot of the SSD for the Swap-file and or Hibernate files. If you had 16 Gig memory you would be using maybe over 30 Gig for those two files, and you may not even need them.

This.

Check this.

Disable those 2 and watch 30GB come back.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to PhoenixDown

120GB is fine, but you need to give up the idea of installing all your programs on it. I ran on an 80GB drive for a while, but WoW is a pig and was up around 30GB. The real problem is WoW won't update if you don't have enough room on C: (Don't know if it is hard coded or the WoW install drive) for the download.

Install the OS and WoW on the drive, Firefox is okay, but I'd install iTunes to a different drive since your iTunes library will fill up the drive. Move your page file to the mechanical drive, turn off Hibernation. Only install things on the drive that you want a speed read benefit. Do you really care how long it takes Word to come up?

I'd also move your libraries to a mechanical drive. I don't know how much data you have, but that can be a huge chunk.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

said by Kilroy:

...but I'd install iTunes to a different drive since your iTunes library will fill up the drive. Move your page file to the mechanical drive, turn off Hibernation. Only install things on the drive that you want a speed read benefit. Do you really care how long it takes Word to come up?

You can install iTunes on the SSD and point it to a library on a mechanical drive. Best of both worlds. And yes, as a college kid, you do care how fast Office opens up.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PhoenixDown

I keep my documents / pictures and media on separate mechanical drives.

I was thinking WOW would see a benefit (if not from launching then from game play) by having it on the SSD but I could move my games folder over the mechanical drive.

I guess I could move all my programs over too but wondering if that defeats the purpose of having the SSD if its just for windows. I rarely reboot.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
reply to PhoenixDown

I have learned to live with my 120G SSD. I still have 58G Free.

Fingers crossed.

Just love it.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to PhoenixDown

I have one system that uses a 120GB SSD and has about ~30 GB free. I can make more space but never got around to it. I’ve been thinking of moving to a Z77 based system and running a quad 120GB SSD RAID 0 configuration or quad 240GB SSD RAID 0 configuration though. Since TRIM is now supported in RAID 0 configurations on the Z77 platform.

happy4ya
Premium
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY
reply to PhoenixDown

Is disabling Hibernate only to save disk space from the large hiberfil.sys file, or is there another reason? I was looking at an SSD for my laptop but I use Hibernate rather than shut down almost all the time.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to PhoenixDown

Is hybernate the same as sleep?

Chrno

join:2003-12-11

No. When your system hibernates, it dumps all of it's content in RAM onto the hibernate system file (hence why the hibernate file is set at the same size as your RAM). Hibernate uses less power than sleep and unlike sleep, you get to keep your unsaved data if there's a complete power lost. When your system wakes from hibernate, it loads the content of the hibernate file back into RAM. This is usually faster than completely rebooting the system from an off state.

Sleep on the other hand doesn't off load RAM data onto anything. It puts the system into a lower power state while keeping the voltage to the RAM active. This will generally wake the system more rapidly than hibernate but you will lose all unsaved data in RAM if there's an unexpected power lost.

Expand your moderator at work

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to PhoenixDown

Re: [hard drive] Bought a 120 gig SDD, should I have gone bigger

Use that 120GB SSD as your main boot drive and just have the OS on it and nothing else.

Then get yourself like a huge secondary 2TB HDD for all the extra programs and games you want and install them onto the HDD only.

Another thing you should know is that SSD have a limit number of read and write times.

An HDD has an unlimited amount of read and write times and a much longer life span.

If you where to use both a SSD and a HDD in a server where they are both are reading and writing right and left 24/7 the SSD will hit the maximum read and write times very quickly and the SSD will fail and die while the HDD will keep right on going.

It was said at one time that an HDD can last up to 54 years. That was based on the old style IDE HDD drives.

Also with an SSD there is no way to tell when the drive will fail and dies on you or just how much life is left in it.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

floydb1982 See Profile can you provide references to your statements?

While SSDs have a limited number of writes, not reads, the number is in the 100s of millions.

Here are the specs of a SSD drive and a couple of mechanical drives. You'd be very hard pressed to convince me that a mechanical drive is more reliable. Check out operating temps, non-operating temps, and shock (a huge reason to go SSD).

Intel 520 series

Seagate Barracuda

Western Digital Black

said by SSD Myths and Legends - "write endurance" :
If you're a consumer you don't have to worry about the internals of endurance management - because most new SSDs are good enough (if they're used in the right applications environment).

Exceptions still do occur, however for users in the enterprise SSD market - where I still hear stories of users thinking it's perfectly normal and economic to replace burned out Intel SSDs every 6 to 12 months - instead of buying more reliable (but more expensive) SSDs - from companies like STEC.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to PhoenixDown

I am not sure how relevant these tips are now but might be worth a look.

»www.tech-forums.net/forums/f128/···-236563/
--
»www.freakynorm.com

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to PhoenixDown

As a fellow WoW player with a 120 GB SSD (OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS) in my main PC, here are my thoughts:

As long as you disable hibernation and move the pagefile elsewhere, you'll be fine. I've done both, and with a bunch of random apps installed (including Office 2010, which its Program Files folder is 437 MB on my PC), WoW, and Diablo III, I have 59.4 GB left. My HTPC has both of those installed, plus various other games, and is nearly 75% full on a 128 GB OCZ Octane. It runs fast as hell still.

You should notice a definite improvement in load times with an SSD. Patching is WAY faster too, I'd still put it on an SSD if that was the only improvement.
--
KI6RIT