share rss forum feed

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:5

Weird Adobe Flash & Firefox 16 problem

Just updated my Xubuntu 12.04 box a little while ago. Got Firefox 16 and new Adobe Flashplayer installer. Weird thing is, it kept saying when the installer tried to run that there was no internet (which is weird as how could I have downloaded it & I had 4 bars on my Wi-Fi indicator). So I checked in Ubuntu Software Center & I got it that way. Now Firefox 16's Plug in checker and Add-ons Manager keep telling me I have an older version (Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202), while Adobe says I have the latest version

. Hmmm.

Even Xubuntu is telling me I have the latest one.
************-Studio-1745:~$ dpkg -l | grep -i flash
ii  adobe-flash-properties-gtk                    11.2.202.243-0precise1                  GTK+ control panel for Adobe Flash Player plugin version 11
ii  adobe-flashplugin                             11.2.202.243-0precise1                  Adobe Flash Player plugin version 11
rc  browser-plugin-gnash                          0.8.10-5ubuntu1                         GNU Shockwave Flash (SWF) player - Plugin for Mozilla and derivatives
rc  flashplugin-installer                         11.2.202.243ubuntu0.12.04.1             Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
************-Studio-1745:~$ 

Flash seems to work fine, but it's weird to have the Browser, Adobe & Xfce disagreeing with each other. Any Ideas?

--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
»www.adobe.com/software/flash/abo ··· h/about/
Says 11.2.202.243 is indeed the latest on Linux for FF, but not for Chrome. Maybe that's what's causing the disparity.

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
Freight Yard

1 edit
If I Had Chrome, maybe, but I don't. Not even Chromium. I DO have Opera & it too says Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202, like the Firefox plugin about screen

shows. I DO know I have the latest libflashplayer.so file, I downloaded the newest install_flash_player_11_linux_i386.tar.gz package & found every occurrence of libflashplayer.so & replaced them with the new one. Still even after rebooting it still acts the same.

Actually it probably doesn't matter all that much anyway, as about the only time I use flash is for the odd Youtube video or NASCAR video clips, and the speed tests here. Just never noticed it before, till the update last night.
--

MossyTC

@ntlworld.ie
reply to Santa Fe
Those version numbers are identical.

Maybe you're seeing 202 in one case 243 in the other?

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1
reply to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

»www.adobe.com/software/flash/abo ··· h/about/
Says 11.2.202.243 is indeed the latest on Linux for FF, but not for Chrome. Maybe that's what's causing the disparity.

Just to reiterate the point...

Flash Player 11.2 is the last supported "standalone" Flash Player version for Linux. For Flash Player releases after 11.2, the Flash Player browser plugin for Linux will only be available via the "Pepper" API as part of the Google Chrome browser distribution and will no longer be available as a direct download from Adobe.

Source: »blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012 ··· nux.html
--
less talk, more music

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1
reply to MossyTC
said by MossyTC :

Those version numbers are identical.

Correct.

11.2.202.243 is the full version number, but some browsers shorten this to 11.2 r202.

In either case, this is the last version of Flash on Linux for all web browsers except Google Chrome (see post above).
--
less talk, more music

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
Freight Yard
That's interesting. Guess that explains it, but one would think the Plugin Checker: »www.mozilla.org/en-US/pluginchec ··· incheck/ would know that instead of yelling at me it's out of date.
--