Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tonice2007
Premium
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

[memory] RAM Issue???

So, I recently purchased a RAM kit from Newegg and installed it onto the notebook that I'm using, it's a 8GB kit (2 x 4GB) clocked at PC3-10600 at 9-9-9-24. Now my issue is that ever since I upgraded my memory from 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-10600 my computer seems super slow, meaning when it use to take about 3 mins to bootup cold, now takes like 5+ mins, I'm trying to run Red Alert 3: Uprising, and it loads very choppy, meaning the audio and video appears as if I don't have enough system resources to support it.

Why is this so? And what can I do to resolve this issue?

Expand your moderator at work

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Tonice2007

Re: [memory] RAM Issue???

Did Red Alert 3: Uprising run smoothly before installing 8GB of RAM?

Freddy

Edit:
Also, it would be useful to know whether you're using a 32 bit or 64 bit operating system.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to Tonice2007

Remove the RAM you added and put back in the original RAM. Does the problem definitively go away?

Tonice2007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Freddy

said by Freddy:

Freddy

Edit:
Also, it would be useful to know whether you're using a 32 bit or 64 bit operating system.

Yes, the system worked perfectly when I only had 4GB of RAM installed, on Windows 7 64-bit.

It turned out to be an BIOS issue, because ASUS originally made the U43 series to support a max RAM of only 4GB, but then later on decided that the chipset could support up to 8GB, and released a new BIOS to implement that change.

Tonice2007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

said by Tonice2007:

said by Freddy:

Freddy

Edit:

Yes, the system worked perfectly when I only had 4GB of RAM installed, on Windows 7 64-bit.

It turned out to be an BIOS issue, because ASUS originally made the U43 series to support a max RAM of only 4GB, but then later on decided that the chipset could support up to 8GB, and released a new BIOS to implement that change.

So an update to the BIOS fixed the issue.

Thanks.