CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Doctor Olds

MVM

to Doctor Olds

Re: Why can Porsches go 20K between oil changes?

With the BMW CCV system a person would have to be a couple cards short of a full deck - imho - to do that. Of course I already said they (any car) *could* go that long but I don't know any mechanic (shade tree, or very experienced) would do that. Even if the mechanic does NOT have a shop (Mike Miller at Roundel who has an old school maintenance schedule for anyone who has a BMW.

He is not a believer in waiting 100K to change fluids and 15K to change oil if a person is really interested in keeping their BMW (but in reality ANY car) for a long time.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

With the BMW CCV system a person would have to be a couple cards short of a full deck - imho - to do that. Of course I already said they (any car) *could* go that long but I don't know any mechanic (shade tree, or very experienced) would do that. Even if the mechanic does NOT have a shop (Mike Miller at Roundel who has an old school maintenance schedule for anyone who has a BMW.

He is not a believer in waiting 100K to change fluids and 15K to change oil if a person is really interested in keeping their BMW (but in reality ANY car) for a long time.

You are talking about transmission fluid while this thread is about engine oil change intervals. Synthetic oils have proven themselves in engines for decades now. Lab results don't lie.

Case Studies
BMW and Volvo – The Truth About Lifetime Transmission Fluids
»www.atlanticmotorcar.com ··· -fluids/
quote:
There is a trend with many manufacturers to use so called “Lifetime” transmission fluids in their new cars. Audi, BMW and Mercedes have been doing this for years, Volvo more recently.The real question is what is a “lifetime”? If the lifetime of the car is the reference point, most owners will be sorely disappointed, for it seems to us that almost all of the fluids need service between 80-100K miles, far shorter than the lifetime of most European cars. While fluids and lubricants have doubtlessly improved over time, we suspect that the real reason for these “lifetime” fluids is the extended service intervals of new cars.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

I talked about ALL FLUIDS including oil. CCV = crank case ventilation and relates directly to engine oil.

I will trust a guy who has 30+ years experience and has zero vested interest in suggesting anything less than 15K-20K miles. As I have said - I know of no one - including engineers - who think that 'lifetime' fluid and 15K mile oil changes are a great idea for the long life of a car - any car. This includes folks owning and working on their cars for well over 30 years and have cars for 200K+ miles.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

There is no argument from me that you are talking about transmission fluids when the thread is about engine oils.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to CylonRed

to CylonRed
Yeah, that guy obviously knows a lot more than the engineers who design and test the engines.

/sarcasm

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

said by Bob4:

Yeah, that guy obviously knows a lot more than the engineers who design and test the engines.

/sarcasm

LOL - a lot of times those 'guys' find the ISSUES with the design and they manufacturer changes the design.
CylonRed

CylonRed to Doctor Olds

MVM

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

There is no argument from me that you are talking about transmission fluids when the thread is about engine oils.

Nice way to only zero in on ONE fluid I mentioned.... It was part of am example:
" one of a number of things, or a part of something, taken to show the character of the whole"

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Well lets talk about the BMW CCV system you mentioned, oil change intervals doesn't effect it, as it either works or it quits working as seen in the thread below. It is an overly complex replacement for a PCV system and is basically an oil separator for the crankcase produced oil mist (blowby gases).

CCV(Crankcase/oil Seperator) Fixed!!! w/Pics!!!
»forums.bimmerforums.com/ ··· t=923117

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
I expect that most technicians change the oil more often than the scheduled interval.
I do.