I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Timothy28

Re: Home theater help

said by Timothy28:

I only hear dialogue from the center channel. All other sounds are from the left, right and rear surround speakers.

When you're testing, just make sure that your Sony is set to NOT convert two-channel audio to matrix (simulated) surround sound, such as Dolby Pro Logic II. Otherwise, you may not be able to differentiate between true (discrete) surround and the artificial surround created by your receiver's processor.

said by Timothy28:

This is my first home theater system. So i didn't know if the surround sound from the rear speakers was supposed to be more noticeable.

If you're using wireless rear speakers it's possible the sound level and/or quality is being compromised by a less-than-optimal signal or poor amplification.

Timothy28

join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

said by Steely:

said by Timothy28:

I only hear dialogue from the center channel. All other sounds are from the left, right and rear surround speakers.

When you're testing, just make sure that your Sony is set to NOT convert two-channel audio to matrix (simulated) surround sound, such as Dolby Pro Logic II. Otherwise, you may not be able to differentiate between true (discrete) surround and the artificial surround created by your receiver's processor.

said by Timothy28:

This is my first home theater system. So i didn't know if the surround sound from the rear speakers was supposed to be more noticeable.

If you're using wireless rear speakers it's possible the sound level and/or quality is being compromised by a less-than-optimal signal or poor amplification.

Thanks, i've made sure sound mode is off. So i can't even change it to dolby pro logic at all. So it shouldn't be simulating anything.