spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AnonFTW

@rr.com

[Cam] Camera Choice for 17-year Old?

My daughter has been pushing her iPhone 4S to the limits and is enjoying photography so much, she wants a real camera.

I've put a limit of $500 on the camera I choose for her, but I'd like some guidance.

How should I spend that $500? Should I get a lesser camera but a few good lenses? A better camera but no lenses? Can you even buy a good lens for $500?

The majority of her pictures are of nature and the sky ... if that helps?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

said by AnonFTW :

My daughter has been pushing her iPhone 4S to the limits and is enjoying photography so much, she wants a real camera.

I've put a limit of $500 on the camera I choose for her, but I'd like some guidance.

How should I spend that $500? Should I get a lesser camera but a few good lenses? A better camera but no lenses? Can you even buy a good lens for $500?

A high end P&S would be my choice and Panasonic comes to mind.

»shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-LX7K

--
October is National Popcorn Popping Month

AnonFTW

@rr.com

said by Coma:

said by AnonFTW :

A high end P&S would be my choice and Panasonic comes to mind.

»shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-LX7K

Thanks. I thought I should have mentioned I don't want to get her a point and shoot.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by AnonFTW :

I thought I should have mentioned I don't want to get her a point and shoot.

Your choice and good luck friend.

--
October is National Popcorn Popping Month

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB
reply to AnonFTW

I believe the Nikon 3200 with kit lens would be a great starter and probably within your budget.

Ralph.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to AnonFTW

Your looking at least $600-700 if you want to get her a DSLR kit. I would highly recommend a nice point and shoot such as a Nikon or Panasonic.

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to AnonFTW

You know your daughter better than we do, but before you buy think about these questions.

1. Does she know how to use a camera with manual settings?
2. If the answer to question (1) is no, is she planning to learn?

If the answer to (2) is no, then she will be better of with a nice point and shoot. You can make better photos with a point and shoot, than you can with a DSLR used as a point and shoot type camera.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

2 recommendations

reply to AnonFTW

@ AnonFTW

If you live in the States I'll give your girl my old EOS Digital Rebel XTi Black.
»www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/c···Overview

18-55 kit lens, battery, charger and case.

Gemologist
Premium
join:2001-11-15
USA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to AnonFTW

Panasonic LX7 is not your typical P&S. It has all the features of a dSLR and some only in a fixed lens setup.
--
Images are Copyrighted and use is NOT
permitted.

krazyboi
Premium
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX
reply to AnonFTW

You should be able to find a used DSLR and kit lens combo on Craigslist.. I've bought and sold camera equipment on there with no problems...

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB
reply to AnonFTW

ARGONAUT made a fantastic offer. There are so many nice people in this forum, which is why I have been here for so many years.

KUDOS!!!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits
reply to ARGONAUT

said by ARGONAUT:

@ AnonFTW

If you live in the States I'll give your girl my old EOS Digital Rebel XTi Black.
»www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/c···Overview

18-55 kit lens, battery, charger and case.

Good for you, I was going to offer my orig generation Rebel kit for cost of shipping, but not sure where the charger has gotten to.

Has enough time on the shutter (for what they were rated then... 10K shots) couldn't in good conscience sell it, but no problems and likely with many thou more beyond to go, and now several other back ups`.... would gladly give away for some deserving kid to learn on.
--

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

4 edits
reply to AnonFTW

This is an awesome camera for nature photography. Nikon COOLPIX 16.1 MP 42X Optical Zoom Digital Camera (P510)
»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/···af2cen02
You will also need a tripod to capture the detail that a 14MP x42 zoom can bring in. Even so it's within your budget.
Message me if you would like me to email you some of the nature pics I've taken. Each one is 3.5 M

Edit; Ok, I just saw the point and shoot comments. This is still worth a look. I have not played with manual mode, but it has lots of functions available.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN
reply to Hayward

No response from AnonFTW.

Sending it out to a dsl 2001 senior member. He has a son taking his first photography class. This will his boys first dslr camera.