Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

Re: [iPhone] Bigger Fail Than Maps ...

said by Count Zero:

Listen having not heard those two together I cannot definitively say what they sound like.

HOWEVER

Full quality audio will always be better than re-compressed audio and from what I could tell about the devices from the tech specs published online they're sending the audio over A2DP probably re-compressing to a 128kbps audio stream which (1) further degrades the quality of your original media & (2) consumes battery power to do unless you're plugged in - and then you might as well just stream the audio over your USB connection.

Granted cars aren't the best audio platforms in general but I have a 2010 Subaru Outback with the 440W Harmon Kardon stereo with a parametric EQ. I tuned the stereo using pink noise and some settings I found online and it's much better now than when I first got it - but when I drive I notice a significant difference in the clarity and the accuracy of the music between BT and USB. It may be that I listen to a lot of jazz and indie music where that is more noticeable but this is just an example of why I think saying "you can just stream it on bluetooth" is not as good.

We have a 600W HK in our car. We don't sit around comparing sound quality. We BT with the device of whichever person's turn it is to get their music played and enjoy what we're hearing. It's good enough for a drive.
--
“The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." - Barack Obama, UN Speech 9/25/2012. Ever hear of the First Amendment, BO? Vote Romney/Ryan and take America back.

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Bingo. It's great to just get in the car, forget I even have my phone in my pocket, and just switch tracks using the radio controls.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
I have thousands of tracks, I need playlist controls and I haven't seen an OEM automaker BT system that gives you that kind of control from the head unit. My 5-series can index through tracks using BT for example, but I don't have access to playlists on my Galaxy player. The handsfree BT doesn't integrate for voice control of the Galaxy player (so I can't just call for a playlist). I don't know if that is a byproduct of Samsung abandoning the player to Gingerbread the day it came out or what. It basically makes it a giant CD player with a gazillion tracks which is pretty worthless. The iPod control mimics the screen of the iPod including album art.

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Hmm... As much as it pains me to say it (not a Ford man), Ford might have the best OEM BT on the market. I wouldn't know, though; I don't usually keep an OEM stereo for long.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
I never have a car that a non-OEM head unit would look decent in.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to skeechan
My wife's 2012 IS 350C can do it over BT from her iPhone - a first in our experience too!

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to BronsCon
My car can do that over USB or BT from the steering wheel.

But on long drives I get annoyed at the lower quality of BT. I guess I consider myself something of an audiophile and if I'm going to pay for high end stereo equipment I don't see a point in feeding it lower quality audio to play.