Liberal And Loving It
Premium Member
join:2001-09-09
Ottawa, ON

3 edits

dennilfloss

Premium Member

40 years ago: the Nordiques first game.

On October 11th 1972, the Nordiques played their first game, with Rocket Richard at the helm, losing to the Cleveland Crusaders (led by goalie Gerry Cheevers) 2-0. After that first game, Richard (signed by the team's first GM Marius Fortier) felt the pressure of coaching was too stressful and he officially stepped down after two games, not wanting to "die behind the bench". This game also marked the beginning of Jean-Claude Tremblay's long and fruitful play with the Nordiques. His contract was for 5 seasons at $140,000 per season and he would end up with 89 points that first season as the team missed the playoffs. Québec had also tried and failed during the summer to acquire Jacques Lemaire, Guy Lapointe, Pierre Bouchard, Gilbert Perreault, and Jacques Richard. Most of the Nord players that first season were francophones: Serge Aubry, Richard Brodeur, Pierre Roy, Jacques Blain, François Lacombe, Michel Archambault, Jean-Guy Gendron, Michel Parizeau, Paul Larose, André Gaudette, Renald Leclerc, Alain Caron, Robert Guindon & Pierre Guité.

And so the adventure began.

Stats for the season:
»www.histoirenordiques.ca ··· 273.html

Pics of the players:

Source: »www.histoirenordiques.ca ··· 273.html

Almost 7 years later, on October 10th 1979, Réal Cloutier would score a hat trick during Québec's first ever NHL game, a 5-3 loss to the Atlanta Flames at Le Colisée.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

hehehe I remember seeing them as a kind, not long before we moved from Quebec City to northern Quebec. I was 5 and I had this Nordiques winter jacket and of course the small town we moved in was full of Habs sheep who gave me a hell of a hard time.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

1 recommendation

milnoc

I remember the Good Friday game with the Montreal Canadiens! No love lost there!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -c3y_Vng

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Ha-ha, awesome!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Hehe, I remember watching that clip a few years ago.

Its fun, but I'm glad this kind of goonery doesn't exist in hockey nowadays.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to dennilfloss

to dennilfloss
I remember the playoff series between the Nords & Habs in 1982...

Scary didn't cover it, it honestly seemed that the two teams would just as soon wipe each other off the map altogether as play hockey...

NefCanuck
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to dennilfloss

to dennilfloss
That was back when I found hockey was worth watching - and it wasn't because of the epic fights (though as a kid I found that entertaining).