Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to marinemaster

Re: let them live

said by marinemaster:

i say, Apple you did not give them the iphone,

And by give I believe you mean enter into a deal where TMo pays Apple a small fortune per phone for the privileged to sell their device.

at least let them live,

Why should Apple let them use their device in advertising without licensing it? If Samsung is going to get in trouble for having a device that looks similar, they aren't going to let TMobile slide for using the actual device in a manner beyond fair use.

ATT is pulling some strings for this to happen.

It wouldn't surprise me if AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint all pointed it out to Apple. Why would one brand that licenses a 2nd brand be happy when a competitor is capitalizing on that 2nd brand for free and without authorization?

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
Except that Samsung is selling a competing device with the intent of getting customers to *not* buy an Apple device.

T-Mobile's campaign actually would boost Apple's unlocked device sales.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by tiger72:

For the 5 people who are buying an unsubsidized iPhone with the intention to move over to T-Mobile?

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
What's your point? How is this hampering Apple's bottom line?

SauceMaster

join:2004-08-01
Kokomo, IN
reply to cdru
Tmobile has said they have over 1 million unlocked Iphone users on their network and that was a while back. It maybe more or maybe less now , but it's definitely more than 5
--
StaticXFM - Streaming 24/7 @128k - The Best Classic Rock From The 60's , 70's and 80's - Tune in Today

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by tiger72:

For the 5 people who are buying an unsubsidized iPhone with the intention to move over to T-Mobile?

Make it 6. I am going buy an unlocked Iphone and use T-Mobile.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

And all the stolen iPhones sold on the streets.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to cdru
Some people buy them and unlock them and use them overseas....

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to cdru
It's fair use to use an unlocked iPhone on any network that it supports, it's sold unlocked or the phone is unlocked after it's off contract precisely for that reason.

Apple may have convinced carriers and people that they should pay a high premium just to get the device on the network, but the truth is once you buy and unlocked iphone it's yours to do with as you please. The carrier you choose doesn't have to pay apple to put your device on their network.

Apple sells unlocked iPhones, they consent to people using them on any network.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
said by MovieLover76:

It's fair use to use an unlocked iPhone on any network that it supports, it's sold unlocked or the phone is unlocked after it's off contract precisely for that reason.

Apple may have convinced carriers and people that they should pay a high premium just to get the device on the network, but the truth is once you buy and unlocked iphone it's yours to do with as you please. The carrier you choose doesn't have to pay apple to put your device on their network.

Apple sells unlocked iPhones, they consent to people using them on any network.

Agreed. An unlocked Iphone works on Tmobile.
It is fair use of them to advertise that the device works on their network. They can advertise reality and facts.
As long as they are not saying they are the official company of the iphone or they are exclusive for the iphone then I cant see how they are breaking any laws or encroaching on anyone elses exclusive deals with apple.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

corinthos

join:2007-10-09
reply to cdru
Its a lot more than that I live in a town of under 200k people and have a friend who sells Tmobile phones. They have been getting 3-5 users come in a day since 5's launch.

I am actually on Tmobile and got the Iphone 5. I paid a friend 200 dollars to use their ATT upgrade then paid for an unlock through ebay for 8 dollars.