·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to cdru

Re: Permits have taken forever ...

said by cdru:

said by pandora:

Modification of the driveway has been a process that started in early June, and was just completed. It was like pulling teeth, zoning is very concerned that cars not be regularly parked in any quantity (I learned quantity is more than 2) in a front yard driveway regularly.

So zoning is concerned that you'll use your driveway...to park cars?

Oddly ... yes ... I can use the driveway to park cars, but they feel more than 2 cars parked outside a garage creates "blight". I have only two neighbors who regularly have fewer than 2 cars regularly parked in their garage. Most put some subsurface and gravel down. My problem was a desire to get a permit for asphalt. Guess parking on some rocks would work, most of my neighbors do it. Somehow from city hall (where nobody goes outside) it's less "blighty" to park cars on gravel than asphalt.

There was also a concern about non-permeable area and water drainage on the street.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by pandora:

Oddly ... yes ... I can use the driveway to park cars, but they feel more than 2 cars parked outside a garage creates "blight". I have only two neighbors who regularly have fewer than 2 cars regularly parked in their garage. Most put some subsurface and gravel down.

Strange. We have an ordinance that says cars must be parked on pavement (cement or asphalt) or stone. And cars have to be operational if parked outdoors, so no cars up on blocks or "parts" cars. But nothing regarding the number of cars allowed. I guess families with more than 2 drivers are SOL.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to pandora
Click for full size
This is ridiculous. Every vehicle here belongs to the brown house on the left. OH and they have 2 more then this!

And they park them sticking straight out on a cul-de-sac, although usually not QUITE this bad, it's still insane.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

parking lot

@myvzw.com
Are the cones out there so the neighbors on the right can access their properties? People being rude jerks with their vehicles can sure cause bad blood in 'da hood. A buddy of mine has a neighbor who routinely blocked his drive. I was doing some work for him and left my Bobcat T300 overnight so he could do a little clean up around his place. Long story short, the neighbor blocked him in and my buddy waited until the middle of the night to move his car about two blocks away to a no-parking zone, blocking a hydrant. Have no idea what ultimately happens when a car is moved several hundred feet using 72" pallet forks and to my knowledge he never got caught. The story was side-splitting hilarious but now, no one gets the unlock code to my Bobcat.

join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA
reply to cdru
Where I live, you can't park on unpaved surface, AND it's illegal to park a commercial vehicle in a residential driveway overnight. I found out when a guest spent the night and had his electrical contracting van in the driveway overnight, and I got a summons.

Most of these "quality of life" ordinances are the result of some pissed off politician who didn't like what his neighbor was doing and got a law passed to penalize everybody for his problem.