how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA

4G network is crap

Unless Verizon figures out how to make there 4G network penetrate large energy efficient buildings there 4G network will continue to be crap. Where I work I can stand outside the building and get a full 4G signal, inside the building I get 1-2 bars of 3G and 1 bar of 4G if I stand in 1 corner near the windows. I have called and bitched about it but it just fails to get through to them that there network sucks. The only answer from the highest manager they would let me speak to was to spend about $1 million to put in repeaters on every floor of the building (32 floors), that kind of answer is just not acceptable.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
said by zippoboy7:

Unless Verizon figures out how to make there 4G network penetrate large energy efficient buildings there 4G network will continue to be crap. Where I work I can stand outside the building and get a full 4G signal, inside the building I get 1-2 bars of 3G and 1 bar of 4G if I stand in 1 corner near the windows. I have called and bitched about it but it just fails to get through to them that there network sucks. The only answer from the highest manager they would let me speak to was to spend about $1 million to put in repeaters on every floor of the building (32 floors), that kind of answer is just not acceptable.

They have, as you suggested, in building repeaters. We're already starting to explore replacing our 3G repeaters with 4G systems.

They never promise you a good signal indoors...

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
reply to zippoboy7
It's not just Verizon, it's all of them. They all have the issues indoors; this is why repeaters exist.

Also, I think a repeater on every floor is a little overkill if you ask me. lol

zoom314

join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
·Time Warner Cable
said by LightS:

It's not just Verizon, it's all of them. They all have the issues indoors; this is why repeaters exist.

Also, I think a repeater on every floor is a little overkill if you ask me. lol

Lets see concrete steel reinforced floors with corrugated steel support under the concrete floor, with steel I beams almost everywhere for good measure, repeaters in skyscrapers on every floor sounds about right, I know this as I watched how the floors on one were built when I worked at a skyscraper in downtown Los Angeles as a security guard at one time...

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to zippoboy7
how do repeaters work? are they just linked to fiber coming into the office buildings or do they typically go to a microwave dish on the roof?
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to zippoboy7
said by zippoboy7:

Just the opposite for me. There were many buildings i could not get a 3G signal if anything at all. But when I switched to a 4G phone, I still couldn't get 3G in thoses areas, but had no problems getting two or 3 bars with 4G. Which is still faster than 3G. In one of out buildings at work, down levels below ground, i get a nice 4G signal from Verizon. While 3G is non existent and co-workers with other carrries have difficulty. 4G has been excellent here in the DC area. i get it around 95% of the time in DC and the surrounding Virgina and maryland areas.

sides14

join:2007-11-29
Glendale, AZ
reply to zippoboy7
That is because the LTE radiated power is less. The equipment power is 30dBm versus 40+ dBm for the 850 equipment. If you think the 700MHz LTE is bad, wait until you get AWS which has even lower output power requirements.