Oxygen
Times Square can't shine as bright
Premium
join:2001-12-04
Nesconset, NY
reply to pb2k

Re: Heavy Iron - Dual Cisco 7613 Routers w/ RSP720-3C-10GE

said by pb2k:

Edit: apparently it's still 40gb/s per slot. Curious, whats your deployment strategy for this card?

I'm not exactly sure what the thought process is, from what I understand it was ordered with very specific instructions and specifications and the client built the boxes and created the configuration. The job here is to assemble, test, test, test, test, test, make it run for a few days then test again, box them up and put them in a vehicle that you'll drive yourself. You can't take any chances here.

As far as deployment, these will be hooked up to 4x ASA5585 (»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···4415.pdf) with 8x 10GbE optical connections and then connect to a whole slew of ISPs via multiple 1GbE and 10GbE connections. A mix of multimode and singlemode optical circuits. These routers will provide internet access as well as MPLS cloud services, all wired up through diverse DWDM rings. These two will probably serve an average of 3 million users on any given weekday.

Even though I had nothing to do with the physical configuration of the boxes, the RSP720-3C-10GE supervisor engine is the perfect choice here as it works great with triple-play services (voice, video data) and is great on layer 2 and layer 3, IPv4 or IPv6, hundreds of millions of packets per second, gigabits of switching, blah blah... If you're interested Cisco has a lot to say about this SUP here: »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···579f.pdf

Basically what it comes down to, for almost $700,000 you know these will do what Cisco promises you.

What I would really be interested in seeing is how a pair of these would perform against a Juniper router, or even a better a home made machine running some form of Linux FW/Routing software. Service provider level of route and switching is not really my forte as I specialize in unified communications and infrastructure architecture, but after seeing these I think that I want to pursue more projects that involve this type of gear. Because building something that services millions of people is way cooler than delivering service to a thousand people.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by Oxygen:

Basically what it comes down to, for almost $700,000 you know these will do what Cisco promises you.

except for when -- you know -- they don't.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

ROFL

GrumpyJohn

@windstream.net
reply to Oxygen

i Work for a big telco and we use all three ,cisco,juniper,and Fujitsu.Gov makes sure you purchase from all three so there is not one going out of business.They all work really well and interface with each other well in all diverse rings.