join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

2 recommendations

reply to The Snowman

Re: Assange makes 1st public appearance in 2 months

Someone else's motives can be a very difficult thing to judge, perhaps ultimately impossible. But the chain of events immediately leading to where Assange is today include fleeing judicial process for sexual accusations in Sweden, being sought for extradition from the UK for that by Sweden, promising to abide by bail terms in UK while that extradition was being appealed, and finally (thus far) jumping bail into the sanctuary of a 3rd World embassy in the UK. To a purely jurist mind, his ongoing word would now mean little or nothing. These are all holes he has dug by himself, for himself.

It seems to me that it's to defend against legal consequences of all these actions for which he wants financial assistance. Granted, he claims that such defence is against ultimate extradition to the US for ill-defined crimes for which he's never been charged, but at present that remains only a claim. Whatever his "life path" might be purported to be, his trajectory of late seems filled with very much of "Assange" and very little of "freedom of information."

Whatever happened to the courage of one's conviction? I'm disappointed that Assange entangled himself in whatever he did in Sweden, illegal or not, with so many more-significant things at stake. I'm disappointed that he's run from the immediate legal processes and consequences there. I'm disappointed that he broke his word in applying for bail in the UK and jumping it. I'm disappointed that his plaintive cry continues to be that the US bogey-man will "get him", rather than boldly rising up to look such a situation directly in the eye and to make a principled stand for freedom of speech or freedom of information or freedom of journalism or whatever other freedom he claims to be defending. Instead, he continues to duck and hide, spewing repetitious press releases at every turn. I suspect many others, some of them his past financial supporters, are increasingly disappointed for these and other reasons.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
said by Blackbird:

I'm disappointed that his plaintive cry continues to be that the US bogey-man will "get him", rather than boldly rising up to look such a situation directly in the eye and to make a principled stand for freedom of speech or freedom of information or freedom of journalism or whatever other freedom he claims to be defending. Instead, he continues to duck and hide, spewing repetitious press releases at every turn. I suspect many others, some of them his past financial supporters, are increasingly disappointed for these and other reasons.

Well put - it could just be how some of his supporters are feeling, hence the articles posted directly above in regards to Anon. We are all outsiders in this story and they were closer to him than we will ever be.

I enjoyed reading your reply. Hopefully Julian has a minute to read it too.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke