join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

2 recommendations

Simple way to avoid copyright issues

If it's copyrighted, pay for it and download it from a legitimate source such as iTunes or Netflix.

Illegal downloading is a high tech form of shoplifting as it is similar to shoplifting a CD or DVD at Best Buy or Target. Downloading illegally is basically theft in my book.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

seamore
Premium
join:2009-11-02
said by IowaCowboy:

If it's copyrighted, pay for it and download it from a legitimate source such as iTunes or Netflix.

Illegal downloading is a high tech form of shoplifting as it is similar to shoplifting a CD or DVD at Best Buy or Target. Downloading illegally is basically theft in my book.

But what if it's not avail. on said sites?

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by seamore:

said by IowaCowboy:

Listen to or watch something else??
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to IowaCowboy
I tried to follow your advice, but neither even tells you what resolution you are buying. They are scam artists and thieves compared to honest pirates.

seamore
Premium
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by seamore:

said by IowaCowboy:

yea, OK

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to FFH5
so helpful.

seamore
Premium
reply to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

I tried to follow your advice, but neither even tells you what resolution you are buying. They are scam artists and thieves compared to honest pirates.

I agree. Also you are forced to watch their ads. If you pay for something, you shouldn't be subjected to their ads.

kmg90

join:2002-08-25
Shawano, WI
reply to IowaCowboy
What if buying from the legit sources leads you to spending money on a product you have no absolute control of whether or not it will work or not...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkL-w1lDY2c

»www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07···am-sale/

Who's stealing from whom when the customer is unable to enjoy the products they legally and legitimately paid for?

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Be careful what you wish for...

This is exactly the kind of thing that should scare the shit out of the MPAA and RIAA.

MOWAA

join:2010-03-25
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

While your position is quite admirable, I doubt many online users feel that digital acts of theft are actually criminal.. Its the new modern Robin Hood story.

Plus can you name off a Criminal case involving jail time or probation involving digital theft of copyrighted music or video, applications or such? Id love to read those cases.

Remember without criminal penalties to backup the theft.. the civil aspects are pointless as nearly every form of a financial judgment against you in America with the exception of government imposed judgments can be eliminated via bankruptcy.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
reply to IowaCowboy
illegal downloading is not theft in any way. theft requires loss of an item. call it what it is, copyright infringement. and the infringer is not the person downloading it. the infringer is the person supplying it.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to IowaCowboy
Downloading is not theft and is not copyright infringement and is not illegal. Publicly sharing copyrighted content can be illegal.

Get your facts straight.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to Kamus
said by Kamus:

said by FFH5:

Be careful what you wish for...

This is exactly the kind of thing that should scare the shit out of the MPAA and RIAA.

I agree with you. Most people who pirate stuff would not be buying the content legitimately to begin with. Even if this system "worked," it won't result in significant numbers of people buying content... so who will the content industry blame next for faltering sales?
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit
reply to jjoshua
No, get your facts straight. Downloading unauthorized copyrighted material is illegal because it is an unauthorized duplication. Courts do and always will rule in favor of the copyright holder if sufficient evidence is available.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy
What about half the web pages you visit that contain copyrighted photos that are used without permission? Are you prepared to suffer some strikes because you are downloading those images to your computer?
--
Say no to astroturfing. actions > Ignore Author

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
reply to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

illegal downloading is not theft in any way. theft requires loss of an item. call it what it is, copyright infringement. and the infringer is not the person downloading it. the infringer is the person supplying it.

The factual details they always fail to mention.
--
Say no to astroturfing. actions > Ignore Author

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
reply to silbaco
sorry, but you are definitely wrong here.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

No, I definitely am not. I don't know where you guys get this false idea that only the uploading party is liable. Both parties are liable. The uploading party is typically the party that is punished but that does not make the downloader innocent.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to seamore
Then you aren't going to have a problem from the MPAA/RIAA. No one is going to bother to enforce copyright in a market they aren't engaged in.

Meanwhile people want this stuff for a reason. If you are enjoying it, you should pay for it, support the artists, actors and companies that are putting it together.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
reply to MOWAA
To take it one step further, downloading is not even pursued civilly... only uploading. So there is a logical disconnect between the concept of 'downloading = shoplifting' argument and the way it is dealt with in court. A person who rips a CD and makes it available to others hasn't 'stolen' anything... all he/she did was piss off the record company because they think they would have made more money if the person didn't make it freely available.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

No, I definitely am not. I don't know where you guys get this false idea that only the uploading party is liable. Both parties are liable. The uploading party is typically the party that is punished but that does not make the downloader innocent.

Did you settle with the RIAA or MPAA for downloading something?

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I pay for cable, so how is it theft if I download copies of network TV shows?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

You need to rewrite your book.

• If I download illegally, I deprive the IP owner of income only, not real property. If I just don't buy it, I also deprive the IP owner of income without depriving him of real property. So what is "similar" to theft about downloading? Or am I a thief for not buying?

• It is between difficult and impossible to catch downloaders. Ever hear of a court case against a Usenet downloader? Only against BitTorrent users; whom are caught distributing (uploading).

Don't misunderstand; I realize that copyright violation is both a civil, and a criminal offense. But IP piracy is similar to theft in the same way that apples are similar to oranges.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to seamore
said by seamore:

said by IowaCowboy:

too bad.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to pnh102
said by pnh102:

Most people who pirate stuff would not be buying the content legitimately to begin with.

That's not true and you're just stereotyping people.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

By that logic, if someone manages to access their bank records and adds a few zeroes to their balance, then that's legal. After all there is no "loss of an item".
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to seamore
said by seamore:

said by Wilsdom:

I agree. Also you are forced to watch their ads. If you pay for something, you shouldn't be subjected to their ads.

Do you pay for cable tv? it has LOTS of ads.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to kmg90
said by kmg90:

What if buying from the legit sources leads you to spending money on a product you have no absolute control of whether or not it will work or not...

stealing from whom when the customer is unable to enjoy the products they legally and legitimately paid for?

So that gives you the right to take it without paying for it?

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
reply to jjoshua
Are we really becoming so uninformed so we believe that just because you don't get prosecuted for something it is legal?
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

Premium
West Tenness
reply to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

illegal downloading is not theft in any way. theft requires loss of an item.

So I can sneak into a theater without paying because I'm not stealing anything phsyical