All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

trailrunz
@rr.com

trailrunz

Anon

Which is my best option: Dish Network or Verizon 4G LTE?

Opinions needed:

I am moving in the next few weeks and found out that neither Comcast or AT&T are available at my property. I've contacted each company and neither are willing to make their services available.

I work from home and must have internet for my business. I've narrowed my options, but could use a few opinions on which is best. Here are the options as I see it, I may be off on prices.

Option 1: Apple Ipad w/ Verizon 4G LTE - upfront cost of $629 plus $50/month for 5GB data cap. No contract.

Option 1B: Verizon Jetpack mobile hotspot device - smaller up front cost, but since I don't have a tablet, I'd rather just front the money and use an Ipad with mobile hotspot.

Option 2: Verizon HomeFusion - $199 installation fee + 2 year contract and $50/month gets you 10GB data cap

Option 3: Dish Network Satellite Internet - this one I don't know much about. Apparently this month they launched a newer, faster service. Looks like you can either get a 10GB data cap or 20GB data cap. Not sure if a contract is required.

I realize that none of my options are cheap and I'm facing the fact that I will not be able to stream Netflix or Hulu - at a fundamental level, I need to check/send emails and view webpages.

Any reason to go with Dish Network over Verizon? Should I value a consistent signal with Verizon over satellite that is affected by the weather? The signal strength of 4G is great at my house FWIW.

Thank you for any opinions.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich

They both got caps so really there isnt really better. Plus Dish network is just reselling either Wildblue or hughesnet but just rebranded under dish network.

Look at »www.hughesnet.com/index. ··· ing#gen4 vs »www.dish.com/entertainme ··· rc=aw.ds

same thing except dish network dont give out the 15 meg package.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to trailrunz

to trailrunz
Why do you need a tablet to use a jet back ot the hotspot device? As lon as your current computer has a wireless card in it, the device will connect to the internet. Why spend the mony on a tablet- Especially since if don't have one now?

trailrunz
@nuvox.net

trailrunz

Anon

A tablet (with 4G LTE) or a Jetpack will serve as my ISP - or Dish Network, if I go that option (in which case, I will not need a tablet/jetpack). The wireless card in my computer is useless without something to connect to.

I realize that both providers have a cap. At this point I'm weighing two different factors: 1) Overall price including equipment and 2) Whether it is worth it to have a smaller data cap and more mobility (a la Verizon 4G) or an in-home service like HomeFusion or Dishnetwork w/ higher data caps.

In that case, it boils down to: If I'm restricted to 5gb/month with Verizon, will it really be worth it to pay more and be restricted to 15gb/month w/ Dish?
cbobby7
join:2009-06-14
New Windsor, MD

cbobby7

Do you know about Millenicom there is also a Millenicom Forum inside this site

»Millenicom

»www.millenicom.com/page/ ··· pot_plan
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

yep, agree with cbobby .... »www.millenicom.com/
spkay
join:2005-11-10
Princeton, MA

spkay to trailrunz

to trailrunz
The Millenicom 3G/4G 20GB/mo plan is the way to go. If you needed to boost the 4G signal to get a good signal inside your house then post a question to ask the best equipment for your location. Once you have a solid 4G signal you will love the performance of LTE compared to 3G.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to trailrunz

to trailrunz
My advice is to try to find a fixed point to point wireless ISP first.

»www.skybeam.com

Also, 4G WiMax like »www.clear.com

trailrunz
@wayport.net

trailrunz

Anon

Neither Skybeam nor Clear have coverage in my area, unfortunately.

I'm very interested with Millenicom, but still have mixed feelings. Will having 20GB of data/month for $70 (millenicom) really make my life better than 5GB/month for $50 (ipad/verizon)? I feel like if I have data caps, I just have to face the fact that it is web surfing & emails only - no video/music streaming whatsoever. With that mindset - will the extra 15GB make a difference? I've never, ever paid attention to how much data I use.

Thank you all so far for the advice & replies.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to trailrunz

to trailrunz
Maybe you should take a step back for a moment. What city/town/state do you live in? We may be able to help you find a different provider that doesn't have caps.

trailrunz
@wayport.net

trailrunz

Anon

Lowell, MI 49331