share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to pnh102

Re: Simple way to avoid copyright issues

said by pnh102:

said by 88615298:

I may never intend on paying $8 to see a movie at the local theater. So the theater isn't losing a sale by me sneaking in.

That's not what the content industry is arguing.

They are claiming that everyone who sneaks into the theater or otherwise watches the movie illegitimately would have paid the $11 ($8? Nice!) for a ticket to watch the movie, if there was simply enough incentive to do so.

You're missing my point. My reluctance to pay doesn't not give me a right to that content.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by 88615298:

You're missing my point. My reluctance to pay doesn't not give me a right to that content.

I'm not claiming it does.

Me personally, I agree that copyrights must be respected by all, but I don't think that my ISP subscriber fees should be financing that effect, especially when I have to prove that I am innocent of such infringement should I get one of these love notes. As a paying customer, I am the boss, and it is my ass that should be kissed by the vendor, not the other way around.

If content owners wish to go after those who infringe on their work, there exist plenty of existing legal vehicles for them to go do that.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.