share rss forum feed

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to CXM_Splicer

Re: Simple way to avoid copyright issues

said by CXM_Splicer:

What if that person loses my original, should I erase the songs from my iPod?

According to copyright law, you are allowed to make one backup of the original. So, make a backup and hide the original. If the backup gets destroyed, make another.
said by CXM_Splicer:

If I own a copy of a DVD but want an archival copy, can I download that archive from a torrent or have I committed infringement?

If you downloaded from a torrent, you committed infringement. But there are tools to backup your DVD/Bluray that are available everywhere and are rather easy to use.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
Thank you but the questions were more rhetorical (not semantic, I stand corrected). I know there are definite legal answers to the questions but I am more concerned with the common sense implications of things that are made illegal under copyright law.

I will take your second answer as an example:
quote:
If you downloaded from a torrent, you committed infringement. But there are tools to backup your DVD/Bluray that are available everywhere and are rather easy to use.

I agree that a torrent is (as NormanS pointed out) a bad example for technical reasons since torrent programs also upload. But consider Usenet then... if you are entitled to have 1 backup copy, why is it infringement to get that copy from the Internet rather than buying a separate program to do it yourself? Either way you end up with a copy. Sorry, that just makes no sense to me.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Simba7
Also, what I have read about music is that a typical song has two copyrights a copyright on the song itself and a mechanical copyright on the recording (which is why many compilations of older songs are re-recordings of the song by the original artist as they only have to license the song itself and the record company publishing the song can get a new copyright on the re-recording).

You also have to watch out for franchise bands where you'll get a bunch of guys going around as artists/bands from the '60s and '70s and licensing the songs and band names. We were at a boat show years ago and there was a franchise band performing as Danny and the Juniors (my mother grew up in the '60s and 70's so she knew they were a knock-off band and it was not really them).
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).