Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

garrettm

join:2002-05-23
Beaverton, OR
reply to Skippy25

Re: [FiOS] Cannot map drives when on corporate VPN thru Frontier

First: My OS is Win7. Good question as to what the servers are, on the corporate side. Keep in mind I dont think my laptop is the problem since any other internet connection seems to work. Comcast, Centurylink, ATTCellHotspot. I have tried them all but for some reason the Frontier FIOS does not map(connects but doesnt map).

Second: I dont see this option but will go back and check

Third: yes. Still does not map, but comes back with something to the effect that this server does not take sharing (SMB)

I dont think it is Frontier, but maybe it is related to my IP address (assigned by Frontier) or something and that particular block has not yet been given access rights to get onto the drives. I am only grasping at ideas at this point. I one point I read that Frontier was getting off Verizon's IP addresses so who knows if this is related.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

Interesting that you mention this:

said by garrettm:

Third: yes. Still does not map, but comes back with something to the effect that this server does not take sharing (SMB)

Only Linux and Unix systems (including the Macintosh) use Samba (SMB) to map to Windows drives. Windows doesn't have a need or has a use for Samba. Are these *nix-hosted shares you're trying to map to on a Windows machine?

Also, Frontier stopped using Verizon IPs a while ago. You may however want to do a whois against your IP to see who owns your netblock. I'm pretty sure the sale of Verizon's network included some ranges in the form of SpinCo as a part of the Reverse Morris Trust deal. In which case, minus the routing differences between Frontier and Verizon along with the settings used, the IPs basically had a transfer and a change of records. The Actual IPs themselves never changed.

If AnyConnect is truly making a solid connection, whatever ISP you're on should not be affecting the connection. It's a tunnel after all. Unless it's an MTU issue or an ALG/MITM issue I'm failing to see how being on Frontier FiOS breaks things. Unless of course, the client is set up in a more unique stance where it uses the system DNS rather than the DNS supplied by the Gateway, or it isn't tunneling all network traffic through the VPN in the first place.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Smith6612:

Interesting that you mention this:

said by garrettm:

Only Linux and Unix systems (including the Macintosh) use Samba (SMB) to map to Windows drives. Windows doesn't have a need or has a use for Samba. Are these *nix-hosted shares you're trying to map to on a Windows machine?

Uhm... Windows file sharing IS SMB:

quote:
Most usage of SMB involves computers running Microsoft Windows, where it was known as "Microsoft Windows Network"

Linux and OS X use the equivalent known as "Samba" to connect with Windows file sharing using the same protocol...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to garrettm

I can assure you Windows 7 can't map a drive or connect to a share that is on Windows 2000 or older without adding the below to the registry.

1 . Open registry editor
2 . Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
3. Create a new DWORD value named LmCompatibilityLevel with a value of 1
4. Restart the computer

As I mentioned before, this typically is a fix for when you get the share but it refuses to take your credentials (even blank or no password). However, it is worth a try at this point.

Always Tunnel may not be an option. I just took it for granted that it was being we have always had it as a option on our machines to force ALL traffic across the VPN. This helps with some issues like yours and allows for printing in the office when remote, which may be the reason we have it.

IP address is irrelevant. As long as it is public and allows you to gain access to the internet and establish a VPN connection you are golden. Port blocking wont matter as it goes through the VPN from your computer to your VPN server. Nothing anyone does in between can effect that.