spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sean_O

@50.71.212.x

Moving Fee

Ok this is a bit of a rant. I just wish Shaw would treat there long time customers a bit better. I've been a Shaw customer for over 13 years. Been a buisness customer for 9 years. I recently moved. First move in 12 years. And i get charged a $29.95 Transaction Fee. I mean seriously? They throw stuff at new customers but a long time loyal customer moves and they charge you $30? It just really grinds my gears.

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw

Thanks for the heads up -- this is just so sad! I've been with them since day one -- signed up for cable Internet when it was still the @HOME service as soon as it was available in my part of the city (Calgary at that time).

I will be moving sometime in the next 2-4 months. If I get the same treatment that you got, they will definitely get an earful from me.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Sean_O

Your new address, is it a commerical address?

Have you spoken to Shaw and confirmed this charge wasn't a mistake/miss bill? Certain activities have default charges the employee is supposed to change to 0, but sometimes missed.

Residential moves are supposed to be free (even business accounts at residential addresses) some commerical addresses are charged.

I have moved 5 times now in two provinces in the last 5 years with my business account, and have not been charged yet for doing so.

-Posted from my phone.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
reply to Sean_O

Shaw charged me last year when I moved from Alberta to BC. Afterwards I was scratching my head as to why I didn't just cancel and try and get some kind of sweet intro deal using my wife's name instead.. lol

Sean_O

@50.71.212.x
reply to kevinds

Nope it's a residential address. I'm considered a home based buisness by Shaw. The installer was a residential installer actually.

I haven't spoken to Shaw yet but I will definately do so now. I assumed as the charge was on my current bill i just received it was a valid charge. Thx!

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

Register so you can send a private message, send a message to @ShawSean here. He is good at finding someone who knows, who will be able to help you.

At least figure out if the charge is valid (supposed to be charged).
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

jordanp

join:2004-06-17
Edmonton, AB

I just talked to someone to move our service today. I was also told that there would be a $29.95 fee added to our bill. Seems like it is standard for moves now. This is a residential account.

anon Name

@terago.net

Just cancel the service and sign up for a new one at the new address. That way you can get their new customer deals. Stupid isn't it. I have seen a ton of people do it that way.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

said by anon Name :

Just cancel the service and sign up for a new one at the new address. That way you can get their new customer deals. Stupid isn't it. I have seen a ton of people do it that way.

For most residential customers, that could work. He specified a biz account, and I would definitely not cancel and sign up again. Especially if there is services on a specific static and critical services needing to be run on that static.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

said by rustydusty:

Especially if there is services on a specific static and critical services needing to be run on that static.

New CMTS, new static(s).
--
The more I C, the less I see.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Not anymore, given /30 and /29 for static IPs now, they are moved with you.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

said by kevinds:

Not anymore, given /30 and /29 for static IPs now, they are moved with you.

Ohhhh rurry?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit

I wanted two sequencial static IPs, the only way I could get them, was to get a /29 block, because static IPs are /30. And yes, my last move, they moved my static IPs to my new CMTS.

Edit: Actually I just wanted two static IPs in the same subnet, so they would use the same gateway, direct-access wants two sequencial, that was a different project.

--

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to pfak

said by pfak:

said by rustydusty:

Especially if there is services on a specific static and critical services needing to be run on that static.

New CMTS, new static(s).

Kevin is correct, this is no longer true if you are assigned a static on a /29 or /30 subnet. It is portable to a new CMTS. If your subnet is around a /22 then you might want to ask about getting a /29 or /30.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Also makes node splits, when the new node is on a different CMTS, there is very little downtime.
--

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

said by kevinds:

Also makes node splits, when the new node is on a different CMTS, there is very little downtime.

Sweet! Better than the days where my "statics" would get re-numbered every 9 months.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

cevet19489

join:2009-12-09
Windsor, ON
reply to Sean_O

Interesting as I just moved and they charged me an activation fee of $50.00. I guess I will be on the phone tomorrow.

CompWiz

@shawcable.net

The $50.00 would be an upfront payment. It would have been applied directly to your account to cover the $29.95 installation fee and a portion of your first month services.

cevet19489

Windsor, ON

Spoke with Shaw CS a few minutes ago. She claims the $50.00 is for additional lines/receivers. She said that basic install (on a move) is for one receiver and any additional receivers are charged $25.00 per line (or receiver). So bottom line is, that is what I had to pay because I have more than one receiver and by the way I was also charged the full amount of my normal bill.

CompWiz

@shawcable.net

said by cevet19489:

Spoke with Shaw CS a few minutes ago. She claims the $50.00 is for additional lines/receivers. She said that basic install (on a move) is for one receiver and any additional receivers are charged $25.00 per line (or receiver). So bottom line is, that is what I had to pay because I have more than one receiver and by the way I was also charged the full amount of my normal bill.

That doesn't sound like Shaw Cable. Also, your city is listed as Windsor, which isn't an area serviced by Shaw Cable. Are you using Shaw Direct (Satellite)?

cevet19489

Windsor, ON

Sorry. Yes Shaw Direct. My apologies if in wrong spot. I was just following a post about moving and activation fees and coincidentally I has just gotten my bill (Shaw Direct) and doing some investigating.

Aurora6

join:2001-12-16
Surrey, BC
reply to Sean_O

We moved in oct and I really wasn't pleased to find the $30 on our bill when no one had told us that when we booked the move and there is nothing online. It was cheeper when we moved from BC to AB, only had some small fee for cancelling. Talked to someone through the friends chat and was told they would escalate it to the person we had booked the move to. Trying to find somewhere to complain, it's not so much the fee but the fact that we wern't told about it before hand.

ClickRight

join:2002-04-09
Coquitlam, BC

Yep they get you anywhere you can when you have a business account. I had a pay a $49.99 "transaction fee" to ADD a second land-line to my existing location!