Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to StuartMW

Re: Oracle Java SE 7u9 and 6u37 released

Hearing that some people who used the manual update by going into the Java Control Panel Extension in the control panel of WinXP and hitting the update now..did get the Java updated to this Java SE 7u9..but now there is no longer that icon in the control panel and that part failed to install. Three of them had the last version of 7u7 installed. Anyone else now missing that in Win XP.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit

said by Name Game:

Hearing that some people who used the manual update by going into the Java Control Panel Extension in the control panel of WinXP and hitting the update now..did get the Java updated to this Java SE 7u9..but now there is no longer that icon in the control panel and that part failed to install. Three of them had the last version of 7u7 installed. Anyone else now missing that in Win XP.

That Update tab is not supported in Windows 64 bit OS's

»docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/we···ows.html

Installation of JRE on 64-Bit Windows Computers

64-bit Windows operating systems (which may be Windows 7, Vista or XP) come with a 32-bit Internet Explorer (IE) browser as the standard (default) for viewing web pages. These operating systems also include a 64-bit Internet Explorer browser. However, using it is optional, and it must be explicitly selected to view web pages. Note that because some web content may not work properly in a 64-bit browser, it is recommended that you use the default 32-bit browser and install the 32-bit JRE.

Note: The Windows Online Installer and Java Update features are not applicable to 64-bit architecture.

The following sections can help you determine which JRE to install:

Verifying Your Version of Windows
Verifying Your Browser
Choosing Which JRE Installer to Download

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Click for full size
No..actually talking about the javacpl.cpl file that is missing from the WinXP control panel after the update..should be in the system32 folder but is missing after the update. See screenshot for the icon.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Found the problem in their javadeployreg.txt..it starts here...

DeployHome: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Plug-in\10.9.2
get system dir [C:\WINDOWS\system32] OK
isFileExist for [C:\WINDOWS\system32\javacpl.cpl] return FALSE
isFileExist for [C:\WINDOWS\system32\jpicpl32.cpl] return FALSE
adding command:COPY C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.cpl to C:\WINDOWS\system32\javacpl.cpl
Register Java Control Panel (XP) - added copy command
registerJQS
check JRE registry to see if it's an corrupted webstart key
failed to recover webstart key when attempt to open jre key FAIL, error code[2]
Cleanup bogus RegKeys in Java Plugin-in and Web Start OK
Cleanup bogus JavaFX disabled entry OK
Cleanup SSV disabled entry OK
Cleanup new SSV disabled entry OK

--
Gladiator Security Forum
http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to Name Game

Yes, I just checked and the control panel is gone from "settings." I had done updates on one other XP system, but did not check that one. I suspect the answer will be the same. I am sure that the Win 7 systems still show the control panel, but will check them later. I am considering uninstalling Java and re-installing it to see if that restores the control panel.

Later . . . .
I uninstalled Java (used RevoUninstaller) and noted that update 9 is installed in the same folder as update 7, which RevoUninstaller warned about. I cleaned everything out anyway. I then downloaded the offline installer for Java and ran that. I got it installed, and it seemed to install more quickly than when I just did the update via the control panel. Also, once the installation was complete, the control panel was again available in "settings." To make sure that there were no other versions of Java left anywhere on my system, I ran JavaRa.

Things seem to be working, but the bit about both update 7 and update 9 being in the same folder may have something to do with the control panel disappearing when the internal updater was used.

I'd suggest that if you have the time and are using XP, just uninstall and clean out Java, then download the offline installer and reinstall Jave that way. That will probably work better.

One more thing to add. I enabled Java in Firefox and it works, but seems to load slowly. IE8, on the other hand, loads Java fast. Chrome seems to have the same problem as Firefox, so if anyone else notices this, then maybe Oracle has some more work to do.

--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to mmainprize

I have the 32-bit Java installed on three Win 7 Pro 64-bit systems, but Java is disabled in the browsers.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to rcdailey

Yup that is one way..but what I had them do is this

COPY C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.cpl to C:\WINDOWS\system32\javacpl.cpl

which it failed to do..and that was easier for them..there is a javacpl.cpl in the bin..and it is easy to copy and paste it in the system32 folder. All three then found they had access again to the Java(TM) control panel but as we suspected it was set again by default to do that auto update crap..even though in 7u7 it was set to never do that.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

said by Name Game:

...but as we suspected it was set again by default to do that auto update crap..even though in 7u7 it was set to never do that.

That is par for the course these days. Just about everyone (Adobe, Apple, Oracle, etc) ignore previous preferences and sometimes even the ones you select at install time and enable/re-enable auto updating.

I actually have a mental checklist to go disable/uninstall auto-updating. I also check to see if any services were added and remove them if they were.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Same here..but in that case of XP..one could not even access that panel GUI for Java..I also have them go into the advanced tab and change a few things in there iif they really need java installed. Screenshot above is default settings in the advanced before changes made there.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

I usually run javacpl.exe manually, and as an Administrator, since some time ago Sun/Oracle decided to make many settings only available to Administrators and I'm usually logged into a non-Admin account.

FYI if you have the 64-bit version of Java installed along with the 32-bit they share the same settings. I use the 32-bit javacpl.exe.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

jupitermoon

join:2011-09-27
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

I did the manual update from the Control Panel on an XP Pro SP3 system and also temporarily lost the icon in Control Panel afterwards. However, as soon as I rebooted, the icon came back.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Name Game

Is there a guide or a list of settings that should be changed from the stock defaults?