how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jpgr
WAR

join:2011-08-18
Clyde, OH

Hello can I have DSL and exede on my pc ?

What I mean is I have DSL provisioned to 1.5 megs but my ping is always 35ms . I ordered exede 12 having it installed friday. but will I have a conflict in my pc like during the day can I play games with my DSL an then when I go to Work 4 till midnight come home and plug my satelite to my pc. so if I HAVE UPDATES or new game to download or just watch HD movies . Is this gonna be a problem at all?

wm4bama

join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

It should work fine..your LAN connection will work with whichever modem you connect to your router (or computer if you don't use a router)..

You may have to reboot your router when you switch modem inputs, and you may not have to do that..trial and error method for that part..
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

jpgr
WAR

Clyde, OH

ok thanks I have frontier right know my modem is a router/modem and I use a wirless card to connect to my dsl . So I am planing to get a router for my satelite modem. I am hoping its as easy as diconnecting from my dsl router and connecting to the router of the satelite and vice versa .

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

said by jpgr:

I am hoping its as easy as disconnecting from my dsl router and connecting to the router of the satellite and vice versa ..

Having a dedicated router hooked to SB2 modem is a wise option.

jpgr
WAR

Clyde, OH

ya I figure my wireless card will pic up both routers and it will be as easy as clicking disconnect and clicking connect.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

Another option is to get a failover router. They're designed to be connected by more than one modem, and can switch between the two. There are several brands, CradlePoint is the one with which I'm familiar. Mine is the MBR-90x. Plug a satellite modem into the WAN port, and a WiFi card into the USB slot. You then tell the router which is the primary, and it automatically switches over to the secondary upon failure of the primary. Which means you can also go into the router user interface and simply reverse primary and secondary at will.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to jpgr

There is a Linksys/Cisco router that has two ethernet WAN connections that could handle that.