spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tippy2

join:2010-10-16
Richmond, VA

[modem/router] What is the best Verizon capable DSL Modem?

I am new to DSL modems and trying to help a friend who has Verizon DSL in her home. Her old modem is slow and she has one desktop windows 7 pc (fairly new). She wants to upgrade to a faster DSL modem and does not know what to buy. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
depends on what is slow. replacing the dsl modem will not make internet go any faster than it is. only time replacing it might make it faster is if the old one is failing somehow. if the modem in use is a westell 6100 of some sort, that's not likely to be the issue.

with that said, if you want a good modem, pick up an actiontec gt701d, it's a common modem, and a good one at that.
if you don't want to pay for that, bug verizon to send out a modem (you have to specify a modem, else you'll end up with one of the wireless router/modem combo units).

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to tippy2
DSL speed is controlled by ISP profile, usually "built" at the DSLAM and BRAS(?) (aggregation router). The maximum sync of a profile is defined by the length of the copper loop. Which is why Demonfang See Profile is telling you that replacing the modem will not, normally, increase the connection speed.

As an example, consider my old AT&T ADSL connection, using an SBC-issue Siemens SpeedStream 4100 modem. On a 9,156 foot loop it will only sync at 5888kb/s, while on a 3,300 foot loop it will sync at 8192kb/s; the maximum rate for ADSL.

AT&T builds profiles at discrete rates: 6M at modem sync of 6016kb/s; 3M at a modem sync of 3008kb/s, etc., etc.. So being unable to sync at 6016kb/s on a 9,156 foot loop, AT&T only offers 3M service at that address.

I don't know how Verizon arranges their speed tiers; but if your friend wants more speed, and is on a slower tier because a distinct slower profile was ordered (AT&T allows customers to order slower tiers than the loop length supports), she probably just needs to order a faster tier.

If she is on the fastest tier the loop length will support, she probably won't be allowed to upgrade. I was stuck on AT&T 3M service because the loop length wouldn't support sync for the 6M tier.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

tippy2

Richmond, VA
I thank all of you for your replies. I spoke to her last evening and she told me Verizon said they cannot upgrade the speed in her area and they were pushing her to FIOS. She has cable with Comcast and I am also with Comcast, so I will have a rep contact her on rates for the basic internet connection with a Wireless modem. She already has a new motorola Cable modem(given to her my a friend) so maybe she
use that.
thanks again.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

You're welcome.

It is typical of Verizon, and AT&T, to push their users to newer technology than ADSL; even if it means losing the customer to cable. They would rather get 10%, 20%, 30% profit on the newer than settle for 2%, 3%, 4% on the older.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

id09542

join:2002-04-25
Bloomington, IL
reply to tippy2
Keep in mind pricing also, if the speed is good enough, Verizon DSL will be the best price model. If you truly need higher speed, FIOS or cable is your only option, but you will pay more. If you keep the DSL, pick up a Netgear (or brand of choice) all-in-one DSL/wireless router for minimal dollars (under $20) and save a wall-wart

tippy2

Richmond, VA
thanks for your reply. She is getting 54mps. Refresh is real slow. Can you go to the next speed level in DSL? If so, it may be ok with a netgear DSL/wireless router for the Desktop PC in the upstairs bedroom . Another issue they have is - no phone line in the upstairs room. Phone line is only downstairs in a 2-story home.