how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

malletto

join:2009-01-03
Purcellville, VA

phone distribution panel

In our new house everything is cat5e, all terminated for me in a wiring cabinet in the basement. When we move in i'll probably go phone and internet from the cable provider. Which means I'll have an rj11 jack on the modem for the phone line. I would like something that I can take an rj11 terminated cable and plug into a panel that I can then plug 1 cat5e cable into to send the phone signal up to my office. We have cordless phone with extra handsets that we can place around the house with just needing power for them, so I only need to send the phone to one room, one jack. I would prefer to do this without having to have a punch board and without having to use bare wire.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

If the Cat5e cables are already terminated with RJ45 jacks, just get two RJ11 to RJ45 adapters (different styles are available) or make your own. If there is already a RJ11 phone jack nearby, you can just plug the phone in there and it will be distributed to any phone jack in the house (presuming the phones are all interconnected).

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Yup, this

Get 2 of those adapter cables
Get a RJ11 doubler/splitter (Doubles the number of RJ11 plugs)
Get a RJ45 coupler (Two female ends).

Put the splitter on your RJ11 entrance so that you can plug in your modem AND one adapter cable (RJ11 to RJ45).

Plug the other end of the adapter cable into the RJ45 coupler.
Plug the office line jack into the other end of the RJ45 coupler.
Plug the 2nd adapter cable into your office's RJ45 jack.
Plug the other end of that adapter cable into your phone.

Voila

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

said by alkizmo:

Put the splitter on your RJ11 entrance so that you can plug in your modem AND one adapter cable (RJ11 to RJ45).

Depending on what the wiring setup is, this step may be unnecessary. If the office already has a phone line, then a standard phone cable between ANY phone jack in the house can be used presuming they are all interconnected. Be sure to completely disconnect the phone from any incoming telco service as it may only be a soft disconnect and still have voltage present.

If he only needs one line in the office and doesn't have a phone jack, then hooking the phone adapter up to a cat5 line with just the two adapters I linked to is sufficient. No need to connect to the existing wiring.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by cdru:

said by alkizmo:

Depending on what the wiring setup is, this step may be unnecessary. If the office already has a phone line, then a standard phone cable between ANY phone jack in the house can be used presuming they are all interconnected.

You misunderstood me, but only because I misread Malletto.
I misread as in I thought he said he plugs his modem into the phone line (DSL). So the splitter would allow to plug the modem into the phone line and plug another line for the office.

So that step is not even applicable.
Also the coupler isn't needed, I thought he had a MALE RJ45 cable in his distribution panel to feed the office.
If it's a female RJ45 cable, he doesn't need the coupler.

Is it standard to terminate RJ45 cables in the distribution panel with female ends? In my head, they should terminate with male ends.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

said by alkizmo:

Is it standard to terminate RJ45 cables in the distribution panel with female ends? In my head, they should terminate with male ends.

I've seen it both ways. All the corporate wiring closets I've ever seen are patch panels with jacks. But that's an added cost when technically it could be just plugs on the end of the Cat5. It's not as tidy and things have to be properly labeled as to what wire goes where.

As I said, there are different styles of the adapter. You can them with either end being a plug or a jack so just look for whatever is appropriate for the particular situation.

malletto

join:2009-01-03
Purcellville, VA
reply to malletto

The office does not have a normal phone line, all wiring in the house is cat5e with rj45 connectors. So basically I guess I need a coupler with rj45 on one end (female) and rj11 on the other (female). I don't need to worry about using the same cable for data and voice, I have 4 network drops in my office, one will be phone, the remaining three with be used for other purposes.

So if I'm following some of you all correctly, cable modem/phone adapter from cable company has rj11 port on it. Plug rj11 cable in there, then the other end of that into "something". Then plug the rj45 cable that goes up to one of the jacks in my office into that "something" and all is well. What is that "something"?

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by malletto:

Plug rj11 cable in there, then the other end of that into "something".

If you buy the type of cable from the eBay link, that cable would have a RJ11 end that goes into your cable modem, and the other end of the cable is RJ45, which goes into your office jack (in the distribution panel).

In your office, you have another RJ45 jack, so use a SECOND cable (same cable from eBay), plug the RJ45 end of that cable into the wall jack, and plug the RJ11 end of that cable into your phone.