how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lhooqtoo

join:2012-10-18

Modem and channel bundling compatibility, Central NY

Hi all.
Time Warner will soon be charging for modem rental. I am currently using their modem, but own a SB6120 (IPV6,DOC3.0, 4x4 channel bundling). I had been told previously that the SB6120 would not work with my service, and it is not listed on Time Warners 'approved modems' page.

Couple questions:
1. Why on earth will my modern modem not work?
2. Can I/anyone use a 4x4 channel bundling modem with 8x4 service?
3. Can I try to register the MAC address of my SB6120 with TW under the pretense that it is an 'approved modem' just to see if it will work, or is device info encoded in MAC?

Thank you in advance.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by Lhooqtoo:

Hi all.
Time Warner will soon be charging for modem rental. I am currently using their modem, but own a SB6120 (IPV6,DOC3.0, 4x4 channel bundling). I had been told previously that the SB6120 would not work with my service, and it is not listed on Time Warners 'approved modems' page.

Couple questions:
1. Why on earth will my modern modem not work?
2. Can I/anyone use a 4x4 channel bundling modem with 8x4 service?
3. Can I try to register the MAC address of my SB6120 with TW under the pretense that it is an 'approved modem' just to see if it will work, or is device info encoded in MAC?

Thank you in advance.

4x4 modems are not going to be accepted for DOCSIS 3.0 tiers. Used to you could use a SB6120 on any tier but Extreme and Ultimate. You need a SB6141 now days to use a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that is customer owned.

TWC is slowly shifting to 6 downstream channel bonding in all areas slowly. Dallas and NYC already have it launched.

Lhooqtoo

join:2012-10-18

said by motorola870:

Used to you could use a SB6120 on any tier but Extreme and Ultimate.

So, with Standard service, the SB6120 should work, but customer service won't register the MAC for this device. What happens if I give them the MAC, and tell them that it is an 'approved modem' instead of the SB6120?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

"So, with Standard service, the SB6120 should work, but customer service won't register the MAC for this device. What happens if I give them the MAC, and tell them that it is an 'approved modem' instead of the SB6120?"

The first time you are troubleshot you might well be told that's it not an approved modem. Depending on who adds it, they may well look up the Mac in the Motorola look up tool and it will tell them its a 6120. Probably not worth the hassle.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

bradenmcg

join:2000-10-26
Cleveland, OH
reply to Lhooqtoo

It depends on your area and who you talk to.

In NE OH, they actually registered a Zoom D3.0 modem for me (on 30/5 Extreme tier) with zero complaints. The Zoom is an 8x4 unit so in theory it should be just as "compatible" as anything else, since DOCSIS is a standard. My area is currently only doing 4x1 though, even on Extreme. (I wish they would start upstream bonding, because I am very rarely able to get the full 5Mb up out of my service - I'm a SamKnows broadband monitoring participant so I have graphic proof. )

That said, the only reason I went with the Zoom was because nobody local has the Moto SB6141. I was able to get one on eBay for $95 (via "make an offer" since I wasn't going to pay the scalper prices they're asking when I know the normal MSRP of the modem), and I'm going to switch to the Motorola just so TWC never tries to point the finger at my modem down the road.

I am in a 30 day return window for the Zoom so I can get my money back, but I'm living proof that it can and will function with TW's system, at least in "midwest" / Northeast Ohio.