uniqs

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: Super Nintendo is 19 years old (and still works).

Still have mine! Im getting old lol

got_it
@comcast.net

got_it

Anon

Yup, still have the SNES we got for Christmas in '93, so it's about as old as your SNES. The SNES has some cosmetic damage, and there is something that rattles around inside, but it still turns on. We still play it now and then, although we have to play on a 20" CRT, because there is too much input lag on our main tv (Stupid fixed-pixel display can't convert 256x224 to 1920x1080 fast enough, oh well.). I guess things were made much better back then (no moving parts, overengineered?, Made in Japan). About the only thing wrong with the SNES is that the plastic turns yellow over time.

We also had a N64 that we got for Christmas in '96, but a few years ago it "died". It would turn on, but the system would randomly reset. Of course, the N64 puts out quite a bit more heat than the SNES, so maybe it was heat related, or maybe it wasn't. Before we purchased the N64, we rented one from Blockbuster. I still remember coming home from school and seeing Mario 64 in action for the first time.

Slightly OT: I have a Mario 64 mystery that remains unanswered to this day, and I wonder if any of y'all have had this occurrence happen while playing. After beating Bowser the second time (Bowser in the Fire Sea), we went outside the castle and it was raining, and the castle moat was almost flooding over the ground, it was that high. This only happened once, and it happened while we were using the rental N64. I suspect that this occurrence may have been removed from future revisions of the game, as I have tried unsuccessfully to replicate it.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 edit

Metatron2008

Premium Member

You realize that the snes has a 3.58 mhz cpu and no dedicated gpu right? The n64 has a 93.75 mhz cpu, and a 62.5 mhz gpu.

And you can't really say the past stuff is made better, esp. since most of it was plastic. Theoretically, given that the xbox 360 has 3 cores running at 3.2 ghz, the xbox 360 is 2682 times more powerful then the snes.

Given the low mhz used by most of the older stuff, combined with the big size of the consoles, you could've made the consoles out of literally anything and they'd run.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

2 edits

19579823 (banned) to got_it

to got_it

Here is an awesome clip for you SNES fans

»web.archive.org/web/200512121135···ella.wmv
quote:
I guess things were made much better back then
Yes your quite right there!!!!!!!!!!

got_it
@comcast.net

got_it

Anon

Maybe I'm just thinking Nintendo products were built better because they had the best reliability among all the consoles we've owned. And I suppose it is amazing how much power Nintendo packed into the N64 without having to resort to active cooling. Had we kept our GameCube, I'm sure it would still be running right now. I can't say the same thing about the Xbox, numerous PS2s and 360s we've had that broke down.

I know that post-SNES Nintendo consoles actually had a metal chassis under the plastic. Did any other systems have an almost all-plastic construction? BTW, as I typed this up, I glanced to my right and saw our SNES, with Super Mario RPG loaded in it. Did anyone ever manage to get the Super Suit (100 consecutive Super Jumps)? My best was only 51. I wonder if this can even be done on a modern tv (See my post above about fixed-pixel displays)?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Really, it's hard to argue with the value of Nintendium... though it seems to have been diluted as of late.

First Nintendo console controller I ever had a problem with was the Nintendo64. Not because of its odd default grip... but more specifically to do with how the analog stick in the middle would consistently grind itself to dust, and the flakes of it would then get in the way of being able to make smooth, fluid analog movements. I should also go on to say that none of my friends at the time that had an n64 didn't have this issue either... so those that could, bought extras for that reason. It was a heck of a system, though.

The most fault-prone handheld in my experience though has got to be the DS lite by far. Thank god I sprung for the in-store warranties after the first, because I ended up having to replace quite a few due to the same issues regarding its hinge breaking, and the shoulder buttons not responding. The 3DS has seemed to finally address these issues in manufacturing... my gripe in the matter is why did it take so damn long?

got_it
@comcast.net

got_it

Anon

said by someone said :
First Nintendo console controller I ever had a problem with was the Nintendo64. Not because of its odd default grip... but more specifically to do with how the analog stick in the middle would consistently grind itself to dust, and the flakes of it would then get in the way of being able to make smooth, fluid analog movements.
Ah, how on earth could I have forgotten about the N64 control stick? Just about every N64 controller I've used has had the stick wear out. I actually bought a refurbished controller from a local game store, and a GameCube style analog stick was used on the controller instead of the original stick. Good for Mario Kart, but WAY too sensitive for most games.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by got_it :

said by someone said :
First Nintendo console controller I ever had a problem with was the Nintendo64. Not because of its odd default grip... but more specifically to do with how the analog stick in the middle would consistently grind itself to dust, and the flakes of it would then get in the way of being able to make smooth, fluid analog movements.
Ah, how on earth could I have forgotten about the N64 control stick? Just about every N64 controller I've used has had the stick wear out. I actually bought a refurbished controller from a local game store, and a GameCube style analog stick was used on the controller instead of the original stick. Good for Mario Kart, but WAY too sensitive for most games.

One game that was terribly abusive on that control stick was Mario Party 1 or 2. There was some game where you had to spin that sucker in a circle as fast as possible. I remember trying to break some kind of record on it and using little rubber drink coasters so that we didn't destroy the palms of our hands while doing it. Good times.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

that was mp 1, they weren't nearly as bad for mp 2 as their were reports that kids were getting blisters from that mini game.

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Mod
join:2002-09-11
Ishpeming, MI

Dejavu

Mod

I collect all these old systems and games, they are awesome!

I have the tools to open up the carts as well as the batteries for replacing the internal save battery. If anyone has questions feel free to pm me and ill try and help.

Pic of some of my stuff (last year).

tbone2006
join:2006-07-22
Abilene, TX

tbone2006

Man you are as bad as the angry video game nerd! I regret buying a saga and saga cd instead of a snes back in the day. I thought the saga cd was so cool with its controversial game night trap. I still break out my nes and Atari 2600 from time to time
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Dejavu

to Dejavu
That is so beautiful.
Expand your moderator at work

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Mod
join:2002-09-11
Ishpeming, MI

Dejavu to me1212

Mod

to me1212

Re:  

said by me1212:

That is so beautiful.

thank you. That's about 1/6th of my collection currently.
Jack2
join:2012-11-04

Jack2 to Dejavu

to Dejavu
Excellent collection dude!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Dejavu

Premium Member

to Dejavu
great collection. lots of game history there.

And onto the main topic, it is the lack of moving parts that makes the old systems last so long. Also the fact that NES, SNES and the classic Gameboy where made of some as yet unknown meta material that cannot be destroyed.

(there is an image on the net and it is confirmed real of a gameboy that got bombed in Iraq I think is back in the first gulf war and it still booted up Tetris.)

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Its not unknown, its thick plastic with very little in the way of electronics inside. This was way before shrinking electronics mattered, so the insides had lots of space. Not to mention that the electronics give off pretty much zero heat and use little wattage.

If all you do is blow off a lot of the plastic, you can continue using the gameboy.