how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001
join:2003-01-19

iMac 1TB Seagate Drive Recall Expanded

Just received email that Apple believes the 1TB drive in my 2010 iMac will fail prematurely and Apple will replace it. This is an expansion of an earlier recall. (Originally only 2011 iMacs, this now goes back to 2009.)

»www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

I called Apple to get some more details; the agent said that an Apple store can return my iMac with a new drive that is blank. It's up to me to restore the OS and user files.

I don't know whether to feel good (that they're replacing a potential problem in advance) or bad (that they're still leaving me with work to restore the system). Admittedly, it's not much work (assuming my Carbon Copy Cleaner backups work). Is there anything I should do in advance to make sure things will go smoothly?

I have a TM machine backup as well although I'd like to avoid falling back to that of course. (I once restored a complete drive from TM and waiting for that was no fun.)

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

As long as you have everything backed up what else is there to do? Am I the only one that finds it kind of shitty they don't install the OS. The machine had one when it was purchased ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

said by not quite right:

As long as you have everything backed up what else is there to do? Am I the only one that finds it kind of shitty they don't install the OS. The machine had one when it was purchased ...

I'm sure they would if you asked them to. Anytime they replaced the harddrive in my laptops under AppleCare, it came with a fresh install.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001

said by Thinkdiff:

I'm sure they would if you asked them to. Anytime they replaced the harddrive in my laptops under AppleCare, it came with a fresh install.

I asked that question and the agent said: No, the recall doesn't require us to install an OS. In fact, the agent specifically said that Applecare doesn't require this either. I checked the Applecare agreement and it says nothing about this situation.

Of course you're right that they *might* install an OS nonetheless. On the other hand, I'm still running 10.6.8 (I'm too cheap to give Intuit money for their Quicken-for-Lion "upgrade") so I don't want the latest OS. Would Apple even want to get involved with installing an old OS?

Now that Apple has pushed back this recall, I imagine a number of people will bring in iMacs with old versions of the OS. I doubt Apple wants to give them all free OS upgrades. I think I'll first experiment with my daughter's iMac (also recalled) which I did upgrade to Lion (but not ML).

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DonLibes

I've got a 27" iMac with one of these drives.

What I'd like to do is find a friendly AASP to do the replacement for me, but install an SSD drive (which I'd supply) instead, and then give me the replacement 1TB disk so I can put it in an enclosure.

Has anyone heard of 'PCPS MaxHelp!' before? They're an AASP about 5 minutes away.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to DonLibes

said by DonLibes:

said by Thinkdiff:

I asked that question and the agent said: No, the recall doesn't require us to install an OS. In fact, the agent specifically said that Applecare doesn't require this either. I checked the Applecare agreement and it says nothing about this situation.

I'd still make a big stink over this, just out of principle if anything.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

ToxicDrew
Premium
join:2001-09-24

1 edit
reply to DonLibes

I called and made a fuss about having to take it in again since i just had my iMac serviced a few days ago. The agent transfered me to a senior supervisor who was very helpful. I was able to get them to do the exchange at my house but he told me by going the in home route i'd have to instal the OS myself but if I took it to the Apple store they would do it for me as long as I had the original OS disk.
--
dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true...

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to DonLibes

No recall on my 1tb
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

spinJR
what exit?

join:2002-01-07
reply to DonLibes

i got same email, i know whats gonna happen.
im gonna bring this in to swap the 1TB drive and its gonna fail 2 weeks later. ha..

i like the idea of putting in an SSD and getting the HD back. hmmm
--
welcome to NJ, pay the 7% and go home!

ToxicDrew
Premium

I was thinking the same thing. When I first bought the iMac the hard drive was freaking noisy as hell and now it is whisper quiet and working fine. I would hate to get a new one and then have a dead hard drive
--

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001
reply to DonLibes

I waited a month to let the rush to die down. Also, couldn't hurt if they got lots of practice on computers of other people first.

Just called my local store and asked how soon after dropping it off, would I get it back. Answer: "Under 5 days." He explained the length was all because of the "massive" [his word] number of people bringing their systems in for this recall.

Now I'm wondering if I should wait another month. (Apple's earlier email said the program lasts through April 12 of next year.)

ToxicDrew
Premium

1 recommendation

Have them come to your house and replace it. I called and a tech showed up 3 days later and did it under 30 min at my house.
--

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001
reply to DonLibes

My receipt from Apple says the price of the replacement 1TB hard drive is $39. That's surely not the price they would charge me if I was actually paying. But I doubt Apple would show the real price it is paying. Or is it? The Apple rep said he suspected Seagate was paying but I couldn't find any news articles to confirm/dispute this. He also said the $39 figure might just be a placeholder, chosen appropriately to balance some numbers somewhere.

The labor charge is listed as $265.14 - seems high for what I understand takes just a half hour.

Just glad I'm not paying!

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to DonLibes

that 39 bucks could simply be a place holder so the POS system will process the sale and tell their inventory system it was in fact a sale. Its possible that the system will not accept $0.00 and still remove the drive from in store inventory.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports