Search similar:

uniqs
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

[crt/lcd] This Monitor Compatible with Windows 8?

Hi All

Plan on upgrading to Windows 8 Pro 64bit from Windows 7 64bit, in about 6 days, Just wondering if my 1280x720 Monitor will be compatible with Windows 8, or should i get a DVI-D adapter for my older 19 inch LCD monitor--if it still works that is lol, hasn't been powered up since i got this new PC in June, current adapter won't plug into DVI ports--so guess need a newer one

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

What? It's a monitor...they are all compatible with any system.

Crash Gordon
Zero Tolerance For Stupid
join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

Crash Gordon to computerman2

to computerman2
If it's currently working with Win7 it'll work with Win8.

If you're expecting to use the touchscreen options in Win8, you're probably going to be out of luck, unless your current monitor is a touchscreen.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to computerman2

MVM

to computerman2
Adapters matter with monitors and they are standardized. As long as you have the correct adapter - it will work.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

1 edit

computerman2

Premium Member

Well meant the resolution in relation to Metro, but i think found solution for that, so think should be ok when i upgrade to Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Requirements say 1024x768
This monitor 1280x720

Other LCD monitor resolution is 1280x1024, but oh well, unless i can manage to get a new DVI-D adapter before the 26th

Solution found is just registry editing, to allow downscaling, and make Windows think my monitor is 1024x768 size from what i understand. Think the VGA to DVI-D adapter for the other monitor is missing some pins and why it won't connect, so it's ok, i'll just follow the directions with Solution 1, and have this PC perfect with WIndows 8

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to computerman2

Premium Member

to computerman2
Just curious why you are planning on dropping the money for the new OS if you are using such a low-res monitor?
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Well still wanna upgrade to Windows 8, eventually gonna get a higher res monitor when i can, but for now this will have to do, or i purchase new DVI-D adapter for my other monitor sometime, Other Monitor is a 19 inch LCD 1280x1024...

But for now this one will do

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to computerman2

MVM

to computerman2
In order to use Windows 8 "Snap" in the new Windows UI AKA Metro you'll need a screen resolution of 1366x768 or greater.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· kPoJ5xvA

There used to be a registry hack that would allow “Snap” to work with lower resolution screens but it doesn’t work in Windows 8 RTM.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Well not too worried on Snap right now, in the future gonna buy a monitor that size or greater, for now i'll just use what i can, and be happy with it.

Main thing i just wanna use metros apps a bit, and Desktop applications, if i can't use metro apps right now, then i'll just stick to Desktop, til i get my bigger monitor with right resolution.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to computerman2

MVM

to computerman2
I don’t think the snap feature is that big of a deal. It allows you to see a Metro app and a desktop app running at the same time or two Metro apps. That’s fairly minimalist in terms of multitasking and the desktop has no need of it so no real loss there IMO.

BTW, if you have two monitors as you said what is stopping you from using both monitors on the same system at the same time? I think that trumps the “snap” feature quite summarily.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Yeah i could do that in the future, just would have to get bigger desk, currently both monitors don't fit on the desk, and other monitors VGA to DVI adapter missing some pins, so can't use that one right now, but will get a new VGA to DVI-D adapter soon as possible