All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess to NormanS

to NormanS

Re: WOW could use some faster speeds - PC MAG

I wonder why we have to pay so much more for faster speeds?

Shouldn't the fact that technology progressed to the point these faster speeds are available have led to the cost eventually coming down? Isn't that how it typically works with technology? I can buy a TV for half of what it cost five years ago, also a computer.

So why is internet so expensive? Seems like the providers are keeping the prices artificially high. I guess certain industries do that. Others reduce their prices.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by baess:

Interesting question. I think ISPs use tiers to control CAPEX. More customers on slower tiers means less spending on plant upgrades.

My ISP, Sonic.net, LLC, does not sell tiers. CEO has this to say:

»Re: I feel like I'm subsidizing other customers

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj to baess

to baess
said by baess:

Shouldn't the fact that technology progressed to the point these faster speeds are available have led to the cost eventually coming down? Isn't that how it typically works with technology? I can buy a TV for half of what it cost five years ago, also a computer.

So why is internet so expensive? Seems like the providers are keeping the prices artificially high. I guess certain industries do that. Others reduce their prices.

My worry is that the ISPs will *really* start to squeeze us once the Postal Service is gone (or still around but the service quality has greatly degraded) and we are forced to use the Internet to get and pay bills and get/do other stuff that we can currently use the USPS for. In the last year or so, I've started getting just about all of my credit card, bank and 401(k) statement via the Internet and pay them via credit card or my bank's online billing... I guess I'm part of the problem in hastening the USPS's demise.