Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

BS.

You can buy a no-contract iPhone straight from AT&T. Unlocking is free and the code is provided by AT&T upon request.

bnceo

join:2007-10-11
Bel Air, MD
Still not good enough. From the get go, Apple should sell unlocked iPhones. Instead, they wait a few months for demand to die down, then bring them out.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
Not good enough?
Wait, we are not talking about the only cellphone/smartphone on the market. you do have choices.

But know that if you want Apple:
-it's not cheap
-it's a closed product
-it's controlled
-it's form over function
-it's cool (opinion)

Look, I am all for having both unlocked* and locked phones. But since Apple isn't the carrier, they may not have ability to create a phone that works on a network without some give and take (yes, you may use our phone on our network, but give us some leeway time to make money).

Can one buy an iPhone 5, right now, unlocked? For any network? Now THAT is the issue. There are 3 types of phones.
Nope.
Go to the apple webstore. You have to pick a phone, then a carrier. Can one get an iPhone 5 unlocked? Notice that they made three types? scary... (all this tech and can't have one universal communicator)

* do you realize that I learned about unlocked phone from BBR (dslreports)? Yep. here, I learned that I don't have to be locked into a contract. just buy a phone, and get a card/number with bucket of service/data. One that waits, can save $.
Those that have to have the newest, fund it.
--
Splat

bbrkdub

join:2001-10-03
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by cableties:

Can one buy an iPhone 5, right now, unlocked? For any network? Now THAT is the issue. There are 3 types of phones.
Nope.
Go to the apple webstore. You have to pick a phone, then a carrier. Can one get an iPhone 5 unlocked? Notice that they made three types? scary...

Maybe I'm missing something, but you can buy an unlocked iPhone 5 right now...
»store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/s···/iphone5

I was only asked about color and size. Now, due to current demand, it'll take some time to arrive at your place, but the purchase will be finished. Then again, you can always change your country setting on the Apple website or within iTunes to say...Hong Kong. From there, you can buy the phone as well.

Anyway, I'd skip this model due to chipped paint and purple flares in pictures.
--
Hope this helps...

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

You can buy a no-contract iPhone straight from AT&T. Unlocking is free and the code is provided by AT&T upon request.

Important part in BOLD:

By locking down customer iPhone to protect AT&T's original exclusive right to sell the device, the lawsuit insists, Apple violated rights within the DMCA allowing consumers the right to modify devices they purchased, or use the network of their choice.

They only recently started offering the option to unlock iPhones. I should have been able to take my original iPhone to T-mobile after my contractual obligations were met.

I'm not really sure who's at fault (AT&T or Apple).
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
reply to cowboyro
The article linked, which you obviously didn't read, was in reference to the original iPhone.

Also, notice, "upon request." Pretty inconvenient, huh?

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK
reply to bbrkdub
That's the Canadian store. You can't get them on the US site.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
I just checked and it looks like you can... 699+

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
I was just there and saw unlocked, now I don't. Maybe it was the Canadian site I was on but since I typed apple.com not sure how I would have gone to Canadian site.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK
It probably was the Canadian site somehow. The US unlocked iPhones have gone for the same as the contract-free phones, which start at $649.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to djrobx
said by djrobx:

Important part in BOLD:

By locking down customer iPhone to protect AT&T's original exclusive right to sell the device, the lawsuit insists, Apple violated rights within the DMCA allowing consumers the right to modify devices they purchased, or use the network of their choice.

The right to SELL the phone shall not impinge on the user's rights.
Apple gave AT&T the right to sell it vs. say T-Mobile.
The DMCA gave the user the absolute right to unlock it.