Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe to mlord

Premium Member

to mlord

Re: Google DNS versus ours

Well jabley See Profile is with me at NANOG and his reply here is what came out of the conversation we had. The reality here is that clearcable is knowingly serving a large RRSET that doesn't fit in a 512 byte buffer and they also know that this results in a half broken DNS reply when using a few well known ATAs. I've also talked to a few more people, some of them that work for TLDs and to be honest the opinion that I've heard loud and clear so far is what the heck is clearcable doing.

By far the easiest way to fix this would be for clearcable to shorten the RRSET reply by using the various methods that jabley highlighted above.

While I'm not against "fixing" this in the spirit of being nice. This issue is only specific to using certain ATAs on the clearcable service.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

+1

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to TSI Gabe

Premium Member

to TSI Gabe
Gabe, what I don't understand is how come they're not signing up for our TekTalk service?
wally_walrus
join:2009-10-07
Orleans, ON

wally_walrus

Marc,

When your prices and service are going to match Callcentric's I'll switch in an instant

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

What are you paying with them?
wally_walrus
Orleans, ON

wally_walrus

All PAYG for the last month:

Total: 289 min 0 min 141 min $5.5818 $0.0000 $5.5818

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

What package are you getting from them?
wally_walrus
Orleans, ON

1 edit

wally_walrus

No package at all - I pay by the minute (only for what I use), and - BEST THING - the balance never expires

Their rates are at callcentric.com

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium Member
join:2006-08-11
Canada

neko to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
I'm on PAYG, too. About $5 every month.

Their back-end portal is fantastic with the call filtering options to prevent spam, re-route calls, free incoming/outgoing SIP, free voicemail. The list of features is outstanding.

My favorite feature is the call filtering. They even support wilcard numbers which add a granularity to the service that I find very useful.

They are rated as the best VOIP provider on DSLR.
OTIS3
join:2011-09-29

OTIS3 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I'm also on the pay as you go with CallCentric. I pay $1.95 for my DID, $1.50 for E911, and most calling is about $0.015 per minute. Most months costs me about $5. I prepay with paypal on my account usually $50 and lasts at least a year, so its also one more bill I dont have to think about. They will send me an email when the balance in my account is low.

Also, as others have mentioned, the customer portal is really good. The amount of options is great. Rarely do I get telemarketers or credit cards scams calling, but if they do, its only 30 seconds to add them to a block list.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to neko

Premium Member

to neko
Their website is lacking any functionality, products or ordering. They also have multiple 404 errors on their site. Not very promising at this point. Even though it's only 5$ they should still try and sell their product a bit better.

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium Member
join:2006-08-11
Canada

neko

Premium Member

Perhaps the problem is on your end, as their website is fully functional for me, & I assume others.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

So this thread has turned from DNS to VOIP now?

** Their website works perfectly fine for me too!

Packet Loss
Packet Loss
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Guelph, ON
Ubiquiti Dream Machine SE
SmartRG SR808ac

Packet Loss to OTIS3

Premium Member

to OTIS3
said by OTIS3:

I'm also on the pay as you go with CallCentric. I pay $1.95 for my DID, $1.50 for E911, and most calling is about $0.015 per minute. Most months costs me about $5. I prepay with paypal on my account usually $50 and lasts at least a year, so its also one more bill I dont have to think about. They will send me an email when the balance in my account is low.

Also, as others have mentioned, the customer portal is really good. The amount of options is great. Rarely do I get telemarketers or credit cards scams calling, but if they do, its only 30 seconds to add them to a block list.

I'm paying $30 per year on Nettalk... unlimited Canada and US including all 911 and voice record services, caller ID.. etc...