spc
uniqs
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to elefante72

to elefante72

Re: Beta on a Samsung Smart TV

I am curious how it is Redbox is going to get the streaming rights that Netflix is unable to get and how they are going to get it for a better price than what Netflix can to have a cheaper service.

Redbox is able to provide recent movies now because of either agreements to get the DVD's wholesale or they go retail when dealing with a difficult company and there is no restriction on renting them. That does not give them streaming rights to the movies. Netflix has more customers than Verizon so you would think they could get better movies at a better price.

Anything different tells me that there are some closed door deals going on that trying to disrupt Netflix and bring prices up.
zippoboy7
join:2006-06-18
USA

zippoboy7

What you failed to realize is Verizon is not just an ISP, they have connections to the major TV networks through their FiOS TV product. It would not surprise me if they are not using those contacts to assist with this. What I am waiting to see is if Verizon will use this on there FiOS platform to replace there VoD service since it currently is next to impossible to find anything on it.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Actually, Skippy25 makes a point: Verizon isn't a content creator. More like a distributor.
It's the studios that call the shots.
Netflix having its own productions is the beginning just like HBO was...

Not all studios allow their content on competition without licensing and royalties....
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

and the studios fear streaming and new technologies in general. Streaming has a lower value point than media sales and cable channel licensing. Streaming also gives the consumer something that strikes absolute fear into content owners... More control over when where and on what device the media is consumed on.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25
Verizon's clout with the content providers will make their road easier to hoe then Netflix's.

Personally, I hope Netflix does well, because if they die, we all know where streaming video will be going....

(Think up. Way, WAY up.)
millerja01a
join:2005-10-03
Durham, NC

millerja01a

torrents....