Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

1 recommendation

Woody79_00 to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768

Re: [FireFox] The most stable version

Probably the 10.0.9 ESR (Extended Support Release) is probably the most stable version.

I don't really use Firefox anymore though. Mozilla insistence on treating its users as beta testers by pretty much forcing version upgrades every 6 weeks just drove me away all together. I know i am not the only 1 either because Firefox global usage has been on a decline since they started this nonsense.

I am now pretty much a full-time Opera user. Opera has a solid release schedule, they don't release major version upgrades every few weeks, instead they patch bugs, release minor versions, and major versions don't come as often. When new versions of Opera do come out they show significant gains in the HTML 5 test, and good quality features and improvements...Firefox is just trying to play a version number game.

Firefox lost me and a lot of other users as seen by their decline in the browser share by continuing this release cycle.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by Woody79_00:

I don't really use Firefox anymore though. Mozilla insistence on treating its users as beta testers by pretty much forcing version upgrades every 6 weeks

Chrome does the same.
quote:
Firefox global usage has been on a decline since they started this nonsense.
Global usage is back to where it was 3 years ago but increased last month.
quote:
Opera has a solid release schedule, they don't release major version upgrades every few weeks
Because they use a different versioning schedule. It has nothing to do with the numbers. They hold back all features until some major change is completed. Firefox and Chrome release new features and upgrades when they are completed. iow, if feature A is ready to go in Opera, you won't see it until the over-arching upgrade is completed which could be in about a year. In FF and chrome, otoh, when feature A is done, it's released. It goes through all the same testing everything gets. It's just never put on hold waiting for something else.
quote:
When new versions of Opera do come out they show significant gains in the HTML 5 test
While FF and Chrome show incremental gains.
quote:
Firefox is just trying to play a version number game.
Again, version numbers are not marketing. It's a release point. A naming system.
quote:
Firefox lost me and a lot of other users as seen by their decline in the browser share by continuing this release cycle.

Then what would explain Chrome's triple-growth while they do the exact same thing?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00
Where did you get the idea that Opera is not playing the same insane game that all other browsers seem to be playing? Opera has deteriorated considerably since 11.0. The current version is a complete mess. I had Opera as my default browser until Fx 4 was released and then I began using it most of the time but still used Opera and kept up with all the updates. The current version is awful. Opera stopped being a great browser with 10x. In other words, it became as bad as the others when Opera decided to defensively move to a rapid release schedule to try and compete with the other browser that were doing this insanity.

For me, on XP Pro, the most stable version of Fx is version 4.0.1. I have version 10.0.9 on a virtual machine running XP Pro also and it is not stable. Plus, Session Manager is not working right on it but it works fine on Fx 4.

It will be interesting to see how Fx 10 is on a new computer when it arrives (Windows 7 Pro).