GeekGirl1
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Pretorious

Re: [FYI] Our Pet Memorial Thread

My Dusky-Head Conure buddy of 20 years, Quito "Keet," passed away. When we first got him, we didn't know how old he was. A Conure can live from 20 - 30 years. Since I had him for 20 years, it was probably his time.

Last week, his usual work hard / play hard attitude changed to one of being quite and having no energy. After a few days, he was getting progressively worse. At the time, I thought he was eating OK.

Yesterday, I took him to the vet (avian certified). He had a massive respiratory infection and was in bad shape.

Birds are genetically imprinted to hide their true health in order to thwart predators. (I knew that.)

Not only do they fluff their feathers to make them look bigger, but they also trick you into thinking that they are eating - when they are in fact not. (I had no idea about this tactic.) It's another way to ward off predators. He had me fooled. Keet's weight was dangerously low, which I couldn't tell until the vet weighed him.

We had to try and save him, so the vet sent me home with antibiotics and instructions on what to do. That evening, he was far too weak to even stand. We made him comfortable, my husband stayed with him the whole night. He passed away in the early hours of the morning.

I don't have many photos of him, as he always attacked cameras. He ruffles his feathers and tries to aggressively bite the camera, as shown in the photo below.

NIKON D60
34mm 1/125th F5 ISO100

I also have a Senegal parrot, who's been the subject of at least one Creative Expressions thread. He doesn't mind the camera.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

1 recommendation

That is a long time for a buddy, sorry for your loss. Remember the good times.

badd
Premium
join:2001-10-04
De Queen, AR
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to GeekGirl1

Sorry for your loss GeekGirl1. You have 20 years of wonderful memories to help.
--
Just another day in Paradise

KittyMom
Premium
join:2005-05-15
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to GeekGirl1

So very sorry for your loss.