share rss forum feed

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to urbanriot

Re: [Poll] Should junk food be taxed?

said by urbanriot:

On a personal level I believe all the overweight people I know are above average intelligence... and haven't exercised a day of their life, even after heart attacks.

I've noticed that s well. I'll send you a PM about what I think least it get all the fatties riled up and the thread locked.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Fair enough, taxes dont really work anyway. Suggest instead that ppl are tazered if they come to the checkout counter with junk food. We can ease that in slightly so that it only occurs if there are two large bags of chips in the Cart... Portion control is too hard as we freeze meats have large gatherings etc. BUT THERE IS NO redeaming value in twinkies so that an obvious tazering situation.

This also prevents surrogate shopping. For instance I could have suggested really small doors for the junk food area but then desperate folks (caramel butter tart deprived folks) would get others to get the food for them or buy it......

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

1 edit
said by Anav:

Fair enough, taxes dont really work anyway. Suggest instead that ppl are tazered if they come to the checkout counter with junk food.

Let's do the same with beer though (thinking of the number of guys I see with beer guts). Although this now makes me think of guys with beer guts flagging down skinny guys at the beer store to try and buy them beer if they're over their limit for the day/week/month.

Sigh... it doesn't even address the overall issue. Realistic expectations and helping people lose weight. I worked in a company that had a small gym in house. They would also subsidize gym memberships (although unless you know enough on how to proceed, having a membership doesn't help). The government can tax to their hearts content, but honestly that's not going to do it.

I'm not really a low-carb kind of person, but too much pasta with even a healthy sauce isn't good for you. I grew up meat / veggies / potatoes, but when eating at friends' homes was surprised that other people added bread and dessert to every dinner. You can seriously overeat on carbs, all of them (or most) healthy.

Two-parent working families do rely way too much on packaged stuff. Other than condiments and probably tortillas for wraps, I don't buy pre-made items much (if at all). Yet, I do really understand why people rely on it. I pack a lunch most days, but again, I understand why people buy it.

And to those saying junk food is cheap, I don't see that. Good quality home-cooked meat/chicken, a little cheese, veggies, mustard, a wrap, an apple for lunch - maybe $2 (too lazy to even try to work it out). Could I even buy one for $6? I'm thinking it's time more so than cost. Of course, I've admitted, I tend to be a bulk purchaser / prep / freeze kind of person. However, I have the resources to do so. Time, I don't have, but I make. I can see with families, running kids to multiple activities how it's far easier to pick something up or heat something up.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by A Lurker:

I can see with families, running kids to multiple activities how it's far easier to pick something up or heat something up.

I don't buy that excuse (not from you but from parents that make it) as all you need to do is look at some hispanic foods for some super quick and easy recipes where you basically throw some food into or onto a pita (whole grain of course), toss it in an oven for a few minutes and chow down.

I think this leads back to another thread we had concerning education, where people aren't aware of healthy 'quick and easy' foods they can make because it's outside of our new cultural norm of warming up what's advertised on TV.

lugnut

@look.ca
said by urbanriot:

said by A Lurker:

I can see with families, running kids to multiple activities how it's far easier to pick something up or heat something up.

I don't buy that excuse (not from you but from parents that make it) as all you need to do is look at some hispanic foods for some super quick and easy recipes where you basically throw some food into or onto a pita (whole grain of course), toss it in an oven for a few minutes and chow down.

I think this leads back to another thread we had concerning education, where people aren't aware of healthy 'quick and easy' foods they can make because it's outside of our new cultural norm of warming up what's advertised on TV.

Face it. A lot of people simply don't know how to cook at all. I know a few people who would starve to death if it weren't for frozen Michelina and No Name President's Choice dinners and meat pies. Between those and McDonalds that's pretty much all that they eat. And I'm not talking about 20 somethings here. These are people in my age group, 50's, 60's.

The only real way to get people to eat healthier is to brainwash educate them at an early age and teach them proper nutrition and cooking skills as part of the academic curriculum. Slapping a tax on anything is just another lazy man's cash grab.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Oh, I agree. I don't do it myself, but I understand why people do it. Honestly, I do wonder, other than a few go to dishes, how many people can throw together a decent meal (ie. relatively healthy) consistently night after night. Portion sizes are somewhat out of control and I'm not sure people recognize it. The few lunches and dinners I've had out usually involve splitting an entree and adding an extra salad to it.

With the internet there are tons of resources, but I do think education is lacking. There's so much information but not enough guidance on how to best use it. We're almost at opposite ends of the spectrum - excessively high calorie take-out and too low calorie diet meals (and I wouldn't put them in the healthy for the most part). Somewhere in between is where most people should be eating.