Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to J E F F

Re: [Poll] Should junk food be taxed?

So there's been a lot of talk radio this morning concerning this topic and what I've heard was motivated me to try and reconcile where I stand on this topic. There's a hierarchical problem with conflicting ideologies.

1. We have an obesity epidemic and worse, we have people making up bullshit excuses all day long or suggest we need to stop idealizing healthy people and accept who we are. Human being are not genetically designed to be fat and this is evidenced by countries full of people that are in great shape.

2. We live in country with an average level of taxation and I'm against anything that increases that level of taxation.

3. I'm also against government involvement in my life or 'baby sitting' when it concerns things I can easily police myself.

4. However I'm also in a country where people can't police themselves so perhaps I have to suck it up and accept the government is going to meddle in my life for the betterment of society.

5. I'm in great shape and the reason I'm in great shape is because I make the healthiest of choices and I rigorously exercise. I haven't drank soda or eaten 'junk food' in years, foods we know are unquestionably bad for us an offer us nothing positive but enjoyment, yet have a cost associated with them in our health care.

6. The health care system is monetarily burdened by people who do not make the same healthy choices that I make. If I work hard to stay healthy yet I have to pay just as much as the people that do the exact opposite or in other words, I make a great effort to have a lesser cost on the health care system while others make a great effort to increase the costs of our health care system.

7. I disagreed with DKS in another thread, that higher rates of taxation on alcohol would not affect the consumption of alcohol while he believes increasing the cost limits the intake. Is junk food different or do I now see his point of view? Would less people drink a bottle of coke if it cost $5? Less kids would... I'm sure nobody could argue that.

So that's pretty much it, in summary I want lower taxes but I also want our society to live healthier and unfortunately, our society is moving in an unhealthier direction. This needs to stop.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Of course, if you don't eat junk food at all, a tax would have zero affect on you...or would it? Two points:

1) Lower health care cost = less taxes
2) Longer life = more taxes (due to them collecting for longer)
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

El Quintron and digitalfutur brought up a good point, that taxing unhealthy foods may be too unwieldy to moderate; however I disagree with the Globe's opinion that food is less harmful than tobacco as we'd have a lengthy debate concerning the effects of obesity vs. the effects of tobacco.

said by J E F F:

2) Longer life = more taxes (due to them collecting for longer)

An interesting point but we have the technology now to maintain the lives of unhealthy people even after successive heart attacks. I'm not entirely sure if long living healthy people and short living unhealthy people is a valid comparison as its probably not so black and white.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2

Well you see unlike food, there is no inherently safe level of tobacco consumption. Junk food in moderation is not unhealthy, but a tax on it will not make that distinction.

Lost is all the noise is portion distortion. A giant helping of "healthy" food will make you just as fat as a lesser portion of junk food, it will just take longer. That is likely to happen if junk food is taxed, just as more nutrition information on food packaging has not caused people to become healthier. This means there are other causes of obesity besides what one eats.

And will the OMA support a tax on gourmet restaurant food that is loaded with saturated fat?
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

Yea, good point. I'm now convinced that taxing junk food is not a plausible idea but it was easy to hop on the support bandwagon when nothing else is having an effect on encouraging people to stop living so unhealthy...

How else can we push parents to raise their kids on a healthy diet of proper fruit juices, rather than coca cola, when the parents are guilty for endorsing it?

I also want to see a way to offset our health care costs by people who choose to engage in unhealthy habits. This seemed like a proactive suggestion... maybe not the best one but it shows that people are trying to come up with something...

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

said by urbanriot:

How else can we push parents to raise their kids on a healthy diet of proper fruit juices, rather than coca cola, when the parents are guilty for endorsing it?

This really is the problem. Last time we flogged around the issue I wasn't sure what the answer was. More education in school (right from early ages). Cooking taught in class, with convenient 'take home' recipes for the familes to make together?

Oh, and juice isn't a good substitute for pop. An apple and a bottle of water is a better choice than a big bottle of juice.

»www.mayoclinic.com/health/fruit-···/AN01631

lugnut

@look.ca

said by A Lurker:

said by urbanriot:

This really is the problem. Last time we flogged around the issue I wasn't sure what the answer was. More education in school (right from early ages). Cooking taught in class, with convenient 'take home' recipes for the familes to make together?

Oh, and juice isn't a good substitute for pop. An apple and a bottle of water is a better choice than a big bottle of juice.

»www.mayoclinic.com/health/fruit-···/AN01631

I say screw them all! Abolish all the sin taxes and let Darwin sort it out!!!

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to A Lurker

said by A Lurker:

More education in school (right from early ages).

Yea, that might be the solution. Basically throw in the towel for the generations of people that are alive today and ensure that the children of tomorrow learn what they need to learn at a young age...

One of the reasons I've been healthy from the get-go is because I was told at the young age of 4, by a stranger in a restaurant, that I shouldn't drink cola, should drink juice instead and a glass of milk a day. My parents cast this man off as a crazy person but it stuck with me and I actually followed his advice... young people are impressionable. It's funny because this was long before the days anyone knew about healthy / unhealthy foods so maybe he was crazy... !

I say start kids off at kindergarten.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

1 recommendation

reply to lugnut

said by lugnut :

I say screw them all! Abolish all the sin taxes and let Darwin sort it out!!!

The problem with that is that modern medicine (which can be very expensive) is destroying Darwin's way of life.

If everyone goes nuts on bad food, drinking and smoking, they won't die, they'll just suffer paralyzing strokes, get their throats punctured, get their kidneys transplanted, get their blood changed, but they'll still live, and someone will have to pay for that.

And it sure as hell won't be them as they'll be too busy being disabled and paralyzed, collecting more paychecks, and someone will have to pay that as well.

I already pay extra to keep myself healthy since all the good food costs more, I sure as hell do not want to pay 5 times more to also keep them alive while they fuck themselves up! :/