Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Upsidedown

Re: Differences between Teksavvy and Start

said by Upsidedown :

Yeah but the average consumer doesn't know where the phone support is actually located.

And to them I say - too fucking bad. Half of the people someone encounters on a day-to-day basis in a place like Toronto are going to have an accent on some level or another. People who think that an accent means foreign support need to grow up and take a look around the world they live in before being acting like such an ignoramus.
Expand your moderator at work

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gone

Re: Differences between Teksavvy and Start

Where are you located OP? I've had troubles with Teksavvy prior to Start being around. However since all the upgrades happened, I can finally get the service I'm paying for. Though I don't recommend Teksavvy anymore and I would push friends and people to go to Start, because they're on APOI, and it's actually cheaper than Teksavvy last I checked.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by Upsidedown :

Yeah but the average consumer doesn't know where the phone support is actually located.

And to them I say - too fucking bad. Half of the people someone encounters on a day-to-day basis in a place like Toronto are going to have an accent on some level or another. People who think that an accent means foreign support need to grow up and take a look around the world they live in before being acting like such an ignoramus.

Agreed. But most people live in their own bubble unfortunately...Ah Ali....where are you my friend, always gives me a chuckle when he said "Cable Vandals sir"....literally we had an outage on devil's night one year because I guess some kid or teenager thought it'd be fun to go into a few pedestals and snip all the wires off....

The customer called back and got me and I told him the same thing....Vandals sir, you know, Vandalism...oh well, you can't please everyone...

In the context of the OP, this was on the BLUE Network...

To Start: Could you not use, on "Canada's Reliable Network?"....
I've looked at start in the past being a TSI sub, but I can't swallow that $95 startup fee...and they don't offer Cable where i live...

Upsidedown

@utoronto.ca

said by nitzguy:

Agreed. But most people live in their own bubble unfortunately...

If the OP lives in a metropolitan area, yeah I'd agree with you. HOWEVER, that's a big however, its a matter of exposure. If the OP lives in or came from one of those towns that has nothing but white ppl, then everybody that isn't white would be considered to be "foreign". You can teach them diversity, but if they have never seen it then whats the point? Its like learning Chinese from a book, you can try as hard as you can, its still half baked at the end.

Anyways, back to the topic. Accent or not, CSRs MUST be able to communicate properly. The biggest problem with offshore call centers is that, inability to communicate properly. If the OP was frustrated, plus if he or her has never heard that particular accent before, its not too hard to imagine communication breakdown and why the OP thought Tek's call center was outsourced/ offshore. But, I most certainly hope that Teksavvy isn't hiring visible minority because they HAVE to.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to nitzguy

said by nitzguy:

To Start: Could you not use, on "Canada's Most Unreliable Network?"....

Fixed it

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26
reply to Upsidedown

We don't discriminate... My point was only to say that to hire 300 people you probably go through 500-1000 resumes and the odds of not having any minorities apply and qualify, as well as any other person... Is slim. To have a place this size, and to have none.. Would seem odd to me. In a place like Toronto, it would seem even more odd to me since its more multicultural than Chatham is. I'd be wondering who's doing the hiring...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by nitzguy:

To Start: Could you not use, on "Canada's Most Unreliable Network?"....

Fixed it

= = = = = = = =

The saving grace is that Rogers (or whoever) cannot stop any of US from interpreting/clarifying posts made by Mister Rocca, so that any time he says 'Red', and really wanted to say , WE can remind the other readers that he means Robbers - or GOUGEco, BH#$ELL, or whoever, as the case may become in the future, Conan.

= = = = = = = =

Actually, Rogers has treated me OK, as far as cellular service goes.

The main thing which they (and all of the other incumbents) could/should do to make us happier is charge us le$$, even in the smaller communities where there is not as much competition to force their hands.

Yeah, I know - "Dream ON, Dave !"

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Upsidedown

said by Upsidedown :

Anyways, back to the topic. Accent or not, CSRs MUST be able to communicate properly. The biggest problem with offshore call centers is that, inability to communicate properly. If the OP was frustrated, plus if he or her has never heard that particular accent before, its not too hard to imagine communication breakdown and why the OP thought Tek's call center was outsourced/ offshore. But, I most certainly hope that Teksavvy isn't hiring visible minority because they HAVE to.

The biggest problem with outsourced call centers is that the employees are following scripts and are generally unable to go outside this box as they have no exposure to the product they are supporting (It's pretty hard for someone in India to use teksavvy (I know they don't outsource) or even know what Bell/Rogers is), this is at the cost of Canadian jobs to line the pockets of shareholders period. As the highest paying people in the world for these services there is no reason they should ever be outsourced

Lack of service is a valid complaint, bringing up the ethnicity of a person in Canada in 2012 and the mentality that hiring this person needs to be defended is disturbing to say the least

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by Dunlop:

The biggest problem with outsourced call centers is that the employees are following scripts and are generally unable to go outside this box as they have no exposure to the product they are supporting (It's pretty hard for someone in India to use teksavvy (I know they don't outsource) or even know what Bell/Rogers is), this is at the cost of Canadian jobs to line the pockets of shareholders period. As the highest paying people in the world for these services there is no reason they should ever be outsourced

1. Not all outsourced call centres are in India. There are *plenty* of them in Canada.
2. People who do tech support at an outsourced call centre don't use scripts any more than insourced support for that same company would.

In other words, your entire view on the subject is, quite honestly, crap. If you ask me, it's the same kind of crap that is along the lines of people who assume anyone they talk to with a South Asian accent must be outsourced support from India.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by Gone:

If you ask me, it's the same kind of crap that is along the lines of people who assume anyone they talk to with a South Asian accent must be outsourced support from India.

WTF are you talking about? I said the ethnicity (aka "accent") of the person should never EVER be a factor baring a complete failure to communicate in a language. Canada is multicultural, period.

Or to break it down, pretty much the opposite of what you are accusing me of.

Obviously my reference for outsourced call centers was about companies that do send them overseas. How would someone even know if a company outsourced inside Canada?

Anyhoo, don't want to derail the thread anymore than I have.

To the OP,

I've used Teksavvy and now Electronicbox without issue. I think Videotron plays nice in Quebec because my buddy in Ontario is going though a nightmare with his connection (not Teksavvy but another IISP that I can't recall). I hope eventually the incumbants are held more accountable

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by Dunlop:

WTF are you talking about? I said the ethnicity (aka "accent") of the person should never EVER be a factor baring a complete failure to communicate in a language. Canada is multicultural, period.

You made incorrect generalizations about outsourced technical support. I was pointing out how stupid those generalizations were and that believing them to be true is akin to thinking everyone with an accent is from Bangalore.

Understand now?

lawrence171
Evilly Yours - Evilness

join:2001-12-24
Canada
reply to Gone

You really have Bell/Telus/Rogers/Primus...etc. to blame for this sort of customer behavior.
--
What I used to be I no longer am... God, why can't you freeze time for my sake?