Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

m109rider

join:2012-10-24
Thornhill, ON
reply to yyzlhr

Re: Rogers secretely removes $50 Overage Charge on Rocket Hub

Internal only or not, that does not give them the right to magically take away the cap with out notification. I received no electronic or physical mail or phone call with the changes. If they tell you that there is a $50 cap on the Flex Plan, and you take their word for it and go ahead and use 50 gigs of service, then when you receive a $1000-$5000 bill... Well, you let me know how you think that should be handled when they refuse to adjust the bill for you.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
There is no need to provide you with notification pertaining to changes to something that was never officially offered.

hm

@videotron.ca
said by yyzlhr:

There is no need to provide you with notification pertaining to changes to something that was never officially offered.

I beg to differ.

If this person has previous bills showing this max charge, and has maintained this type of bill for 2 years (or whatever he/she stated), then one would expect the same bill unless notified.

The previous bills alone is documented proof of the max charge relationship with the customer. To suddenly get dinged in the hundreds for something that the person has had for x-years for 50$ is not normal, nor good business practice. A notice should have went out.

I agree with sbrook. File the complaint with the CCTS. Provide previous bills as the documented proof that you had this and include you story above.

In addition to this, who is to say that you haven't been singled out? Maybe the person next door to you still has a 50-max limit. You could possibly have been discriminated against, singled out for punishment by Rogers. When filing with the CCTS I would also say you have been discriminated and singled out for punishment since you had no previous warning, nor did the Rogers personnel offer to solve this discrimination issue with you. Rogers had no explanation to give you for this discrimination.

Also to include in your complaint:
Since you called Rogers to confirm the 50$ max billing 3X, say Rogers should be able to produce these recording to the CCTS as proof you were in a contract with this pricing. Many times when the telco "lost" the recordings the CCTS will take your side.

CCTS is free, if it does fail, nothing is lost on your part except for the time to write the complaint. So you have all to gain.

Next step would be small claims court and/or writing Ellen Roseman of TorStar to splash this around.

m109rider

Thornhill, ON
I have bills since March of 2011 showing consistent charges and how they have maxed out at $127. I want to mention again that I am not a heavy downloader and I don't even have a netflix account personally, so I don't see why Rogers would want to punish me for excessive downloading. I only use my internet for facetime, youtube and occasionally some work. If I was constantly downloading 50 gigs a month, I would understand Rogers problem with me.

I have gone through all of this years billing and there is usually a message with some useful information on the 2nd page of the bill with "Did you know..." type of statement, and not one of them mentions an adjustment of my service.

I most definitely have sent in a complaint with the CCTS, and with cellphonehorrorstory.ca as well. I have provided proof by means of screenshots of my electronic billing with dates attached.

I have not been singled out. There are a number of complaints on the Rogers forum regarding this, and there is also a forum posting that was removed (I assume by Rogers). Using Google's Cache feature, I was able to read the complaint and it was the same as mine, but its now gone.

I would be able to point out specific conversations I had with previous Rogers reps. In one specific case, I called rogers to ask about a small overage charge. During this conversation, the reason was my fault because I was unaware of the billing cycle's start and end date, so I overused the internet and got dinged. The rep explained the dates to me, got that cleared up, mentioned the $50 cap and then proceeded to give me 2 months free data as well for "My trouble" even though there really was none... but the fact was, he confirmed it for me.

Next steps for me in the case no one gets back to me would be to start asking questions on their facebook page, twitter account and if still no contact to get in touch with the media so at least people other then myself can be aware of the magical charges they will be getting if they use too much internet this month or the next. If I wasn't notified, then probably other people haven't been as well. I know from some other posts on the Rogers forums that some people are being dinged for $640 on their Rocket Hub account! Thats CRIMINAL.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
Good luck with your complaint. I agree the practice is a bit scummy, but Rogers is well within their rights to do this. To bolster your case, I would write to the privacy office at Rogers to obtain the transcripts of the call where you were TOLD there is a $50 cap. Without this, your CCTS complaint will suffer. If you read the CCTS decisions on their website, the CCTS routinely reviews internal policy documents from the carriers and often makes decisions based on those policies. Keep in mind, the CCTS does not make decisions based on what the public feels is consumer friendly or not but based on the facts presented by both sides. The internal docs at Rogers CLEARLY state that the $50 cap is not advertised and customers are not supposed to be told that this exists and that it can change at anytime without notice.

m109rider

Thornhill, ON
said by yyzlhr:

Good luck with your complaint. I agree the practice is a bit scummy, but Rogers is well within their rights to do this. To bolster your case, I would write to the privacy office at Rogers to obtain the transcripts of the call where you were TOLD there is a $50 cap. Without this, your CCTS complaint will suffer. If you read the CCTS decisions on their website, the CCTS routinely reviews internal policy documents from the carriers and often makes decisions based on those policies. Keep in mind, the CCTS does not make decisions based on what the public feels is consumer friendly or not but based on the facts presented by both sides. The internal docs at Rogers CLEARLY state that the $50 cap is not advertised and customers are not supposed to be told that this exists and that it can change at anytime without notice.

If there were internal documents, then the customer rep would of seen that I had the $50 enabled for 19 months straight, instead of pretending that she never heard of it before. The act of them "Playing dumb" is infuriating, it would be preferable if they said "You HAD the $50 cap but now we have removed it" but instead they just beat around the bush and have no idea what your talking about.

Thanks for the tip regarding the privacy office, I'll see if I can contact them and get some info. I know for sure that they have mentioned the $50 cap more then once. There is a clear record of it, and I hope to get it.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
LOL, I don't think the rep was "playing" dumb. Chances are they legitimately did not know. This policy document also isn't easy to find as they don't want reps accidentally telling customers about the existence of this cap.