join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to goalieskates

Re: Guilford Co. voters say ballot cast for Romney came up Obama

said by goalieskates:

said by armed:

Listen, that article was put on this forum to prove that the election process is corrupt (and of course it's the filthy Dems who are doing it... see the tombstone above). A minor glitch in a machine that is caught (if in fact that's what it was... and I don't believe it) is not worth the attention it brings here.

More importantly this thread serves democracy badly by fostering the belief that all voting is a worthless effort because it's all rigged.

Say what? Are you our new authority on the intent of others? Did I miss that election? Because if I did, I demand a recount.

There have been ongoing documented cases of problems with voting machines since they first started being used years ago. That's generally on the companies that sell them and the local officials who run them. Computers of any kind aren't magic boxes, they're only as good as their design, their programming, and their implementation.

Closing your eyes to the facts is the part that doesn't serve democracy. Identify the problem and fix the problem, don't pretend it isn't there because it suits your agenda. Sheesh.

You can pretend that the reason for posting this issue was to "alert people to the fact that machines do malfunction sometimes." The rest of us know the intent was to reinforce the perception that voting is a worthless act and that the results of this election should be held highly suspect by us all.

There has been problems with the process of voting since the day voting became a process. There is no evidence that the integrity of the voting process has been compromised or made worse since we began the use of machines... unless you pull it out of your ass. I read a lot about how it could be... but no proven facts that machines have undermined the results of any election.

Plus I see you are silent about proven voter fraud and manipulating voter counts when using the ultimately safe paper ballot. That signifies to me that you have an agenda that is served well if you can convince others that machines have somehow stolen our right to vote.

You are proof positive that ignorance easily becomes fact in today's society.

Here's my point... a problem in a voting machine.... assuming there really was one... proves nothing except there was a problem... maybe... in a voter machine. If you want to make that a conspiracy have at it.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to armed
said by armed:

More importantly this thread serves democracy badly by fostering the belief that all voting is a worthless effort because it's all rigged.

said by Dude111:

Time for ppl to WAKE UP and see this is all a game!!!!
Voting means nothing!! -- Its all rigged

Q.E.D.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to armed
said by armed:

Listen, that article was put on this forum to prove that the election process is corrupt (and of course it's the filthy Dems who are doing it... see the tombstone above). A minor glitch in a machine that is caught (if in fact that's what it was... and I don't believe it) is not worth the attention it brings here.

Say what? Are you our new authority on the intent of others? Did I miss that election? Because if I did, I demand a recount.

There have been ongoing documented cases of problems with voting machines since they first started being used years ago. That's generally on the companies that sell them and the local officials who run them. Computers of any kind aren't magic boxes, they're only as good as their design, their programming, and their implementation.

Closing your eyes to the facts is the part that doesn't serve democracy. Identify the problem and fix the problem, don't pretend it isn't there because it suits your agenda. Sheesh.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to armed
said by armed:

You and my niece would be great together...
You know Mitt Romney said something in the first debate that I wish more people would believe... "we're all Americans and we all love our country and we can work together". Too bad the tin hats here don't believe that.

Wow! Just... wow. Take off your own tinfoil hat. I wouldn't pretend to know the OP's reason for posting the article. From my point of view, the article stands by itself... and the fact that a Romney vote was trying to show up on the machine as an Obama vote is incidental to the nature of the story - a malfunction was occurring. The problem was sorted out for the voters involved. The point is simply that these things happen and the takeaway ought to be that if you believe your vote is important, then be sure it registers correctly insofar as possible... and if that doesn't seem to be happening, then talk to the poll workers and get it straightened out. Whether it's a Democrat or Republican choice that's acting up. Nothing in what I've written in this thread seems partisan or radical to me, yet you seem to attack me for some sort of paranoia.

Whether a few posters in this or any other thread elect to make partisan observations doesn't have to spin other folks up. Please don't attribute to me what points of view or motivations others might have. That's the kind of broad-brush over-generalization and demonizing that is causing so much turmoil in our nation right now...
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

armed

Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

said by armed:

... How come this woman's vote was changed and nobody else had the problem? Of course it easier to believe that it was a Mitt vote that was changed to an Obama vote... right? Oh yea BTW was she the only one to use the machine?
Come on...she punched the wrong fucking button and got a bunch of wimps to swear she didn't. Or better she punched the wrong button knowingly so she could raise doubts about the process.
The fact that the process may not be perfect does not prove the process is invalid. ...

Have you even read the article??
quote:
On Monday, several voters complained that their electronic ballot machine cast the wrong vote. All the complaints were made by people who voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location.
One of the voters, Sher Coromalis, says she cast her ballot for Governor Mitt Romney, but every time she entered her vote the machine defaulted to President Obama.
Marie Haydock, who also voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location, had the same problem.
I understand that you believe many voters are ignorant, complaining dummies. I understand that you also believe folks who make voting-machine-malfunction complaints are trying to steal the election. But this article is not about that. The article does not argue that the "process is invalid"... it does alert people to the fact that machines do malfunction sometimes. If that happens, people need to state it to the poll workers and insist their vote is really counted. I believe my vote is important enough to make sure of that.

More importantly this thread serves democracy badly by fostering the belief that all voting is a worthless effort because it's all rigged. There is more than one post in this thread claiming exactly that and using this "minor glitch" as an example.

You and my niece would be great together... she firmly believes that all new Medicare applicants have to answer questions of whether they have guns in the house. If they admit to it they don't get Medicare. Oh and they're going after the veterans first as they are the ones most willing to fight to keep our country free. LOL Yep... she read it on the Interboob.

You know Mitt Romney said something in the first debate that I wish more people would believe... "we're all Americans and we all love our country and we can work together". Too bad the tin hats here don't believe that.

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to jmorison
said by jmorison:

It's a touch screen, and the pressure point area for the touch sensor sometimes is not set correctly in that particular race, but can be adjusted (and should be checked before election day!). There are several consecutive screens given the ballot size. The voter touches the screen, and a name is captured (but not voted) and then after all candidate selections, the voter reviews another screen(s) with all the selections listed again, then touches a Vote icon. I'd expect the lady saw the incorrect selection at first or on the review, tried to correct it, and then called over a poll official who reported it and presumably had it fixed before further use.

Exactly. This is how touch screens works.

It's interesting the headline says this:
"Guilford Co. voters say ballot cast for Romney came up Obama on machine"

But it wasn't "cast" as in submitted as the title implies, the wrong name got activate/highlighted on the touch screen (screen or user malfunction can do that), and the voter had to reselect the correct choice, which she claims was twice, before she was able to highlight the name correctly and she then did cast her vote for the candidate (Romney) that she desired.

"After the third try, Coromalis says she was able to get her vote counted for Gov. Romney but was still annoyed."

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to armed
said by armed:

... How come this woman's vote was changed and nobody else had the problem? Of course it easier to believe that it was a Mitt vote that was changed to an Obama vote... right? Oh yea BTW was she the only one to use the machine?
Come on...she punched the wrong fucking button and got a bunch of wimps to swear she didn't. Or better she punched the wrong button knowingly so she could raise doubts about the process.
The fact that the process may not be perfect does not prove the process is invalid. ...

Have you even read the article??
quote:
On Monday, several voters complained that their electronic ballot machine cast the wrong vote. All the complaints were made by people who voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location.
One of the voters, Sher Coromalis, says she cast her ballot for Governor Mitt Romney, but every time she entered her vote the machine defaulted to President Obama.
Marie Haydock, who also voted at the Bur-Mil Park polling location, had the same problem.
I understand that you believe many voters are ignorant, complaining dummies. I understand that you also believe folks who make voting-machine-malfunction complaints are trying to steal the election. But this article is not about that. The article does not argue that the "process is invalid"... it does alert people to the fact that machines do malfunction sometimes. If that happens, people need to state it to the poll workers and insist their vote is really counted. I believe my vote is important enough to make sure of that.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to jmorison
said by jmorison:

It's a touch screen, and the pressure point area for the touch sensor sometimes is not set correctly in that particular race, but can be adjusted (and should be checked before election day!).

Thank you for that clarification, without all the histrionics of the others posting in this thread.

jmorison

join:2001-12-08
New Bern, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

2 recommendations

reply to armed
It's a touch screen, and the pressure point area for the touch sensor sometimes is not set correctly in that particular race, but can be adjusted (and should be checked before election day!). There are several consecutive screens given the ballot size. The voter touches the screen, and a name is captured (but not voted) and then after all candidate selections, the voter reviews another screen(s) with all the selections listed again, then touches a Vote icon. I'd expect the lady saw the incorrect selection at first or on the review, tried to correct it, and then called over a poll official who reported it and presumably had it fixed before further use. I hope others were as observant. Our NC county went back to paper with fill-in-the circle, scanner ballot box, much better backup.
--
Suddenlink

armed

Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

said by armed:

I call BS. There are some really fu**en dumb people who vote (remember Florida?) and more than a few who have agendas and willing to lie. Now a dummy goes behind a screen and then claims her vote was changed. Oh gee I buy that.

Uhmm... the director of the Board of Elections verified the machines had problems. Quoting once again:
quote:
Guilford County Board of Elections Director George Gilbert says the problem arises every election. It can be resolved after the machine is re-calibrated by poll workers.

“It’s not a conspiracy it’s just a machine that needs to be corrected,” Gilbert said.]
If it was just a "dummy" going behind a screen and claiming something, the election board would hardly have described it as an every-election recalibration problem with the machines.

Let's see ... you're an election official... somebody says the machine changed their vote.... your choices are to call them a liar, call them incompetent or admit to a minor mistake and put an end to it.

How come this woman's vote was changed and nobody else had the problem? Of course it easier to believe that it was a Mitt vote that was changed to an Obama vote... right? Oh yea BTW was she the only one to use the machine?

Oh and they didn't test the machines or have a method to validate them before voting began? Were all machines doing the same thing and if not why not?

To the paper addicts.... I know when votes disappeared, ballots were taken out of the box and replaced with others, votes disqualified because the mark was partially out side the box, you had to pass a voters test to vote, the recount was done 5 times and it was different each time. So yea ... paper rules.

In my area the machine tallies the votes and prints a record too. So you choose what you want, see a screen with all your choices, then given a chance to correct your vote, then it prints out a record (that stays in the machine), it then allows you to review the printout, then gives you another chance to correct your vote and finally cast the ballot with a corrected print out left in the machine. It's not perfect but I trust it more than a paper vote. Every time someone has charged the machine changed their ballot it was proven they were lying sacks of shit.

Those who don't like the outcome of elections are always confounded with the idea that people didn't agree with them. Ergo the machines, process or the count was rigged, or unknowingly broken and/or illegal's from Mars were allowed to vote. Fuck em all... if you believe all elections are fixed then you're an idiot.

The fact that the process may not be perfect does not prove the process is invalid. Machines can make it harder to cheat. It doesn't mean machines are perfect.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to armed
said by armed:

I call BS. There are some really fu**en dumb people who vote (remember Florida?) and more than a few who have agendas and willing to lie. Now a dummy goes behind a screen and then claims her vote was changed. Oh gee I buy that.

Uhmm... the director of the Board of Elections verified the machines had problems. Quoting once again:
quote:
Guilford County Board of Elections Director George Gilbert says the problem arises every election. It can be resolved after the machine is re-calibrated by poll workers.

“It’s not a conspiracy it’s just a machine that needs to be corrected,” Gilbert said.]
If it was just a "dummy" going behind a screen and claiming something, the election board would hardly have described it as an every-election recalibration problem with the machines.
--