Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to SwedishRider

Re: Generator Time!!!

Since it sounds like Sandy may wallop us here in Central PA...

Just got gas for our Chicago Electric tonight. Filled it, ran it for about 10 minutes under 3/4 load to get things moving. Started and ran like a champ.

Only thing was sticker shock on gas. We were all out as I just rotated it in the wife's car on Sunday. 12 gallons was $42. And I still need to get 5 more tomorrow.

Also starting the other preparations - charging batteries, moving patio furniture inside, etc. All things we need to do anyway but it's getting rushed because of Sandy.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
said by itguy05:

All things we need to do anyway but it's getting rushed because of Sandy.

Don't forget Mr. Sump Pumpy and Mrs. Gutter

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to itguy05
said by itguy05:

Since it sounds like Sandy may wallop us here in Central PA...

Only thing was sticker shock on gas. We were all out as I just rotated it in the wife's car on Sunday. 12 gallons was $42. And I still need to get 5 more tomorrow.

Gas is $3.38/gal here but ethanol free is $4.25/gal. Going to get 12 gal tomorrow.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
Click for full size
European modeling now has Sandy taking a hard left hook, making landfall in your neck of the woods Jack... and that model has been scary accurate for Irene, the October 2011 snowstorm, and now this.

Prep well and best of luck!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
It doesn't look good. Just the other day one of our local tv weather talking heads posted on facebook that out of all the storms this year only one made landfall. I replied "it only takes one". Looks like this might be it.

Isabel put 9" of water in the house at $94K damages. I hope it's not the case this time as it is going to be east of us instead of west heading inland.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to SwedishRider
Click for full size
I'm the little bubble just east of Richmond. Does not look good. Better pick up a little more gas it's going to be a long outage I'm afraid.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
No harm in buying more gas if you have the tanks.
It's not like it can't be QUICKLY used up in our cars

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

I'm the little bubble just east of Richmond. Does not look good. Better pick up a little more gas it's going to be a long outage I'm afraid.

OUCH - Im pretty much in the line to the west of Harrisburg PA. Maybe I'll see about another gas can just in case.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by itguy05:

All things we need to do anyway but it's getting rushed because of Sandy.

Don't forget Mr. Sump Pumpy and Mrs. Gutter

Sump Pumpy should be good - the previous owners installed a battery backup (but I have to check it) and I know the main pump works as the condensate from the furnace dumps into it.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit
said by itguy05:

Sump Pumpy should be good - the previous owners installed a battery backup (but I have to check it) and I know the main pump works as the condensate from the furnace dumps into it.

Yeah, my sump pit's bottom is still curing (Poured new concrete last week), but IF that pit sees action for the first time in ages, it will work.

Looks like the GFS model for the hurricane says that Sandy might drive near Montreal. I'm gonna fill up my gas tanks just in case as well.

Madame Genny is still a virgin, we'll see if she gets to pop her cherry next week. However, the trees already lost most of their leaves, so I doubt they'll do some damage to the power lines.

I won't hold my breath, but I'll be semi-ready (And get more ready if the forecast holds).
What matters is the sump pump and gutters. Rain is for sure, power outage, unlikely.

I feel sad for the kids on Halloween, it will be quite rainy. Actually, I feel sad for me too! (I'll be stuck outside with my kid).

edit - OKAY, the model for Sandy JUST changed in between this post and now. Now the GFS model shows it won't go anywhere near Montreal.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to itguy05
Click for full size
Looks like I need more than a generator.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
said by pende_tim:

A boat?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
said by fifty nine:

said by pende_tim:

A boat?

A life jacket !

--
October is National Popcorn Popping Month

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Jack_in_VA
It does not look good for me as will as in live in clveland

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Isabel put 9" of water in the house at $94K damages. I hope it's not the case this time as it is going to be east of us instead of west heading inland.

A 2" submersible electric dewatering pump will move several hundred gallons/minute.

Something like this »www.ebay.com/itm/42-0007-ZOELLER···2355bffc would probably keep up if it was placed at the low point of a basement right from the start.