share rss forum feed

joepwpb
Premium
join:2000-12-15
West Palm Beach, FL

1 edit
reply to Gone Fishing

Re: [Info] Microsoft Store Online: Windows 8

I discovered conflicting statements regarding Upgrading. The first page »www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss···Pro#tab3

States:

Upgrading to Windows 8
If your PC is running Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium, your files, programs and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8. If your PC is running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your programs. Some features such as touch may require a new PC.

The second page »windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···PP_Light

States:

UPGRADING IS EASY
If your PC is running Windows 7, your files, apps, and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro. If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your apps. Some features such as touch may require a new PC. Check out our great lineup of new PCs, many of them are touch.

Transferring settings, apps, and files

»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···ection_4

So, does anyone know for sure which is accurate?

Joe P

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC

I only know for a fact that, despite a relatively painless install, my installed programs were not functional after Win8 Pro installation, even though the program files still remained in place. The registry appeared to have been purged and there were no shortcuts on the desktop.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5
reply to joepwpb

said by joepwpb:

I discovered conflicting statements regarding Upgrading. The first page »www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss···Pro#tab3

States:

Upgrading to Windows 8
If your PC is running Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium, your files, programs and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8. If your PC is running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your programs. Some features such as touch may require a new PC.

States:

UPGRADING IS EASY
If your PC is running Windows 7, your files, apps, and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro. If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your apps. Some features such as touch may require a new PC. Check out our great lineup of new PCs, many of them are touch.

Joe P

FWIW I recently upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro on my HP G60 laptop and did not have any issues with previously installed programs not running afterwards...

The issue I had was booting and Windows 8 thinking I still had a second monitor connected even though it was not. As a result the main screen was black and I had to reconnect the second monitor in order to get to the login and change the display settings. Interestingly this happened about three days after the initial upgrade and not right away...

Beyond that I am getting to like Windows 8 although I will look at using Start8 to boot straight into the desktop since my wife uses this machine when we travel. Thanks to patt2K for the tip...

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

Click for full size
Start8 configuration screens
Click for full size
Root desktop
said by SoonerAl:

Beyond that I am getting to like Windows 8 although I will look at using Start8 to boot straight into the desktop since my wife uses this machine when we travel. Thanks to patt2K for the tip...

Just installed Start8...

So far it seems to work as advertised. See the screen shots for my Root (admin account) user. I am booting straight into the desktop.

Booting to the desktop also works as advertised for my account, ie. non-admin standard user...

Thanks to patt2K for the tip...

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to joepwpb

said by joepwpb:

States:

Upgrading to Windows 8

States:

UPGRADING IS EASY

Joe P

Just to reiterate there two versions Win 8 and Win 8 Pro. The first section is for those who upgrade to Win 8 (the home version). The second section is for those who upgrade to Win 8 Pro.
--
...as an individual, I have a right to [do] what I think, what I feel, and I think we all have a right to our own destiny as individuals. And I think I have a right to choose mine and everybody else has a right to choose theirs.
»jonestown.sdsu.edu

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks jbgroup1...

Now lets try to figure out this one:

Important
If you choose to start your PC from removable media that you created when you downloaded windows 8 upgrade files, you won't be able to keep your apps, windows settings or personal files when you upgrade.

Joe P

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD

Unfortunately, I don't know what to make of that statement.

joepwpb
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL

said by jbgroup1:

Unfortunately, I don't know what to make of that statement.

Thanks...I'll continue to search for an answer which I believe will benefit all of us here.

Joe P

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to joepwpb

I've just finished installing Win8 Pro after creating removable media (USB) from the $39.99 download link. After you click Setup on the USB stick, you have a choice a few screens later between an upgrade or clean install. The former, which I chose, lets you keep all your settings if you are upgrading from Win7 Home Premium.

Win8 is running well.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
reply to joepwpb

said by joepwpb:

Thanks jbgroup1...

Now lets try to figure out this one:

Important
If you choose to start your PC from removable media that you created when you downloaded windows 8 upgrade files, you won't be able to keep your apps, windows settings or personal files when you upgrade.

OK, I downloaded Win8 Pro via our MAPS subscription. The download was an ISO DVD image, which I burned onto a DVD. I then ran the DVD Setup.exe from the Vista Pro desktop ( I did not boot from the Win8 DVD ). I was surprised that the install started immediately and did not require a reboot. Files were copied to the HD while Vista was still running.

I was not presented with any screen offering options of clean install vs. moving settings (that I recall) but I did not get a clean install. I got all of my personal files and settings moved over, along with non-functional program files in the Program Files folder that had no corresponding registry entries.